We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

Hello,

My fiancee and I are going to be on Kauai in just over a month (!!) for our honeymoon. We have nearly everything planned out that we want to do, however the one thing I need help with is live music. We're staying in Hanalei and would love to spend an hour or two listening to some live music one night. Does anyone know where we can find this, preferably on a Tuesday or a potentially a Monday? It can be an outdoor venue, concert hall, bar, etc. We just want to hear some authentic Hawaiian music while there!

California
Level Contributor
35,583 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

This is a good website for finding all music options on the island.

http://www.kauaimusicscene.com/

Since you are staying in Hanalei, you must go to Tahiti Nui. Watch the movie The Descendants and you will see what that place is all about. If you like slack key go see The McMasters but they perform on Friday and Sundays.

The other option is the luau at Mediterrean Gourmet. Its Tuesday nights. Make a reservation as its a small show and only seats about 85.

Soddy Daisy...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

I know you called for live music, but we always have a half dozen CDs that we use in the car to set the mood.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

jebett - Tahiti Nui is a great suggestion, thank you! Also, I clicked on that link, but it only showed one performer for the 4 days we're there... I'm hoping that other shows gets added on as it gets closer.

RockyTop - that's a pretty good idea too... while we definitely want to hear some live music, that's a great idea for while we're driving places!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You are a little more limited in your choices if you are just talking North Shore and not the whole island, but you can still enjoy some great traditional music at Tahiti Nui in Hanalei town.....usually Michael Keale plays at Tahiti Nui (altho' he also plays at Oasis in Kapa'a, so I'm not sure if he has cut back on his Tahiti Nui gigs)......also "Kanak Attack", a trio that does Hawaiian as well as contemporary music.....and various other musical artists depending on the time you are here.....I think this link was already given, but it shows Tahiti Nui and who is playing on what nights:

http://www.kauaimusicscene.com/v/tahiti-nui

And of course, Doug and Sandy McMasters, who do traditional ki ho'alu (slack key) guitar style music that is very relaxing and mellow:

www.mcmasterslackkey.com/liveshows.html

If you limit yourself to just the North Shore, these two would be your best bets unless something special is going on while you are here.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
6,976 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

Check and see if Titki Iniki will be open in the Princeville Center. The date of their opening is sort of "free flowing". If not, there often is free music in the food court there. Michael Keale has been playing Mondays at the Tahiti Nui. The Nui also has good pizza, IMHO.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,237 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

Haunani Kaui plays Sunday nights at the Courtyard and Thursday nights at Trees Lounge, both in Kapa`a.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

That Haunani....she gets around! LOL.....she also plays with Leilani at the Hyatt on Tuesdays and Saturdays.....love her!

If the OP decides to go farther afield than the North Shore, they have more options.....Leilani Rivera Low plays at the Grand Hyatt Seaview Terrace every night but Monday, Wed. and Sunday.....free traditional Hawaiian music.....also a free torchlighting ceremony with hula kahiko and oli (chant) on Tuesday, Friday and Saturday there (same location).....Tuesday and Saturday nights it is followed from 7 to 8pm by a free keiki hula (children's hula) performance in Hula, Tahitian and Maori dance.

Also, Kirby Keough, Kalani Kaiminaauao and Family and others play at Joe's on the Green, also here in the Po'ipu area.

Keoki's Paradise has been having mostly contemporary music lately I have noticed....I'd check with them to see if they are doing any traditional Hawaiian music while you are here if you are interested.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

This is also an excellent link for finding "Hawaiian Music" here on Kaua'i......many venues have live music, but some of it is contemporary, reggae, Jawaiian, etc......but this concentrates on traditional Hawaiian....it hasn't been updated since March of this year, but as far as I can see, the schedules are correct at this point in time.....so lots of opportunity to hear traditional Hawaiian music here!

kkcrevents-linda.blogspot.com/search…

Malama Pono,

Janet

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
85 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

Tahiti Nui wound up being one of our favorite stops along the way. Kanak Attack was playing when we were there this past Tuesday night, and the guys were great! Just wanted to say thanks again for the suggestions!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I find some live music on Kauai?

I popped my head into Tahiti Nui last week and the live music sounded great! But it was super crowded and there was a line outside to get in. This was around 8:00 in the evening on our way home from dinner. So get there early (or late) and maybe expect to wait for a table. The place is pretty small.