We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

New York
Level Contributor
63 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

My fiancé and I will be honeymooning in Hawaii for 2 weeks...3 nights in Honolulu, 5 in Maui and 5 in Kauai. We wanted to start putting together a budget for food and beverage for the 2 weeks. Any personal experiences and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

That's really wide open. You could go to a top restaurant every night and spend $200-300+ if you buy expensive wines. If you hit a fancy hotel buffet for breakfast you're looking at $30-40 pp. Same for lunch.

Or you can eat cheaply if you are in a condo and make your own B/L and maybe some dinners.

Without more to go on, in terms of what you're trying to do while your here on accommodations and travel style, people are just guessing.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
42,401 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

Dave is so right . . . If you eat every meal out and most are at high end places, you better plan on big bucks. We usually eat breakfast at our condo, pack a lunch for the day's adventure and then have dinner out - that is our style. But I know folks who don't eat out at all on their Hawaiian vacations - and others that eat out every meal . . . and each island has its share of inexpensive to outrageously expensive. I would search food threads on each island - you'll get a feel for what is typical. :)

Dallas, TX
Level Contributor
142 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

Ditto to above, everyone is different and the price per day could vary from hot dogs to fine wine.

We just stayed for 10 days with a total food budget of approx $750. Which is pretty cheap at only $75 per day for two people.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

I like to budget for myself $100 per day for food. That is just for me. :)

It is pretty unlikely that I am going to actually spend $100 per day on food. However, I prefer to over budget and that way any spare money can just be diverted off elsewhere (shopping hello I am Aussie lol).

However the alcoholic drinks can really blow the budget if you are into that. Planning ahead for happy hours - eg knowing where they are and at what times - can save a lot of drinks money - and also planning eats ahead of time - looking at the menus, having an idea of what you would order if you went to X or Y and how much that would cost..

Do you have any ideas where you might like to eat? What styles of food do you like?

There are some great food bloggers on the islands who post photos of the food they eat at various places and sometimes you can find food photos in trip reports.. this also gives you an idea of serving sizes ahead of time. Often we will share something rather than order something each..

Upland, California
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

On all our Hawaiian vacations we find eating breakfast and lunch in our condo or packing it to go a lot more convenient and enjoyable than eating at restaurants 3 times a day. Consider packing a soft sided cooler bag in your luggage or using it as a carry on. We love sitting on the beach and pulling out our picnic lunch with local items. It also makes dinner out something we really look forward to and savor. Hopefully you will have at least a mini fridge, if not a full kitchen. The really high end places are pricey but being from NY that shouldn't shock you. There seems to be a lot of talk about how outrageous it is to eat in Hawaii but there are ways to have a good meal for a similar price to what you would pay in most mainland urban areas. I've found the restaurant reviews on TA very helpful and accurate.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

Agree with everyone. It all depends on your style of eating while on vacation. You can pull out all the stops and eat in restaurants 3x a day or at the opposite end of the spectrum you can make all of your own meals or get cheap takeouts like plate lunches.

Since this is your honeymoon you're probably not going to fit into the latter example especially if you plan on staying in hotels. Even then though the budget per day can vary greatly depending on the kinds of places you dine at and things like drinks (Beedoo made a great point there).

Without any more details from you it's a shot in the dark trying to tell you what you should budget.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

we do breakfast in, lunch out and dinner in - often stretches the dollar and I find I'm more hungry or happier with a full belly mid day than at the end of it while on vacation- that's just our style. We almost never do 3 meals a day- hiking with trail mix, sharing a lunch while beaching, that sort of thing keeps the budget in line

Level Contributor
510 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

Are you staying at a resort? If so, do they offer resort credit? WE are staying at the Koa Kea... Although it's more expensive than most, we get free breakfast, and $50 resort credit daily - we will use that towards a couple of meals while we are there... probably lunch as we like to head out for dinner.

Kind of hard to put a dollar amount on food in HI as you have to decide what you want your budget to be. My hubby and I tend to eat a dense breakfast, snack or light lunch, and a nice dinner... You know what you can afford - just plan according to that. :-)

Level Contributor
56 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

Get a good guide book or look at Trip Advisor's restaurant section. A lot of restaurants have web sites and post their menus. You can get a good idea of what to expect based upon your style & preferences. Enjoy your trip!

10. Re: Food & Beverage Budget - 5 nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 06:17
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question