We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

Washington
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

We have to top (I mean tippy top) budget of $200 per night for 10 days for our honeymoon. I was wondering about where you have been, would you go back, what you liked, or didn't... Trying to narrow down my search for "a" good honeymoon vacay. Based upon what your input is, we'll make a decision for "the" perfect honeymoon spot ;-) Thanks!

Short and skinny- We want a secluded private house on a secluded private beach. Don't think we'll find that for $200 a night. So what is your suggestions?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

When are you planning to come on your honeymoon? That makes all the difference! And while maybe you can't get a house, and maybe not right on the beach (by the way, there are no private beaches in Hawaii - they are all public) but I bet we can find you a cottage of some sort. Any particular amenities? thanks! :)

Washington
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

End of January/first of Feb 2014.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

Okay - a good rule of thumb is that you stay south in the winter for the calmer water and sunnier weather, as the north shore tends to be wetter and the water is often not swimmable - unless you are an expert surfer, though some areas like Anini can be calm during the winter. SO - it depends lots on what type of weather you want to experience.

My personal favorite area of the island is the northshore because I love that green lushness, but it is too wet for some folks - and I tend to only visit in the summer so that I can snorkel in calm waters. What activities and things do you hope to do while in Kauai - or are you just planning on hunkering down in that secluded cottage? Not a bad plan for a honeymoon, if that is the case! :)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,328 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

This house is located near Baby's Beach in Poipu (south shore):

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-cottages/halo/

The cottage behind the main house of this property is also ON Baby's Beach and it's a very quiet neighborhood. We personally love this location!

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-homes/laiki/

Edited: 31 May 2013, 06:05
St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
978 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

It's hard to do on $200/night, but Waimea Plantation Cottages might work for you. It's very quiet, secluded, and within your budget.

astonhotels.com/resort/overview/aston-waimea…

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

I listed just a few I saw in your price range - vrbo.com is a great place to search! :)

http://www.vrbo.com/349143

http://www.vrbo.com/171793

http://www.vrbo.com/428971

http://www.vrbo.com/436029

http://www.vrbo.com/62961#

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,948 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

By the way - I just threw those out there - not saying anything about those particular properties, but just to let you know that there are many places all over the island. Also - do make sure you factor in tax & cleaning fees when you are looking at the total cost - it can make a big difference in your final cost. :)

California
Level Contributor
35,561 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

You might need to give something up with your budget, most likely the right on the beach criteria especially in Poipu. I love the area where Martik suggested too. Poipu is where you should be, but secluded? No! Don't forget Hawaii accommodation tax and out clean charge. That really makes your budget about $165. That will be very hard to find in Poipu in the winter. You might need to find something on the North Shore and put up with the possibilty of rain. You can always drive for the day to the South Shore.

Check this place out. It works out to be under $200 a night.

http://auntylydiasohana.beachkauai.com/

Hanalei is wonderful any time of the year!!!!

California
Level Contributor
9,308 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

I really like the first house Martik suggested, and Aunty Lydia's Ohana is a great choice for the North Shore-- right in Hanalei--less than a 5 min. walk to Hanalei Bay. I was going to suggest another cute place in Koloa where my daughter is staying this summer, but looked at the calendar, and it's booked solid during Jan. and Feb. So, what I'm saying is don't wait too long to book something!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,271 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where would you stay for your honeymoon and why?

How about looking on Maui? It's whale season, best enjoyed from Maui. Or...Big Island?

Winter is not the time to stay north on Kauai, and north is the island's most gorgeous area. Winter IS a good time to stay *south* on Kauai, Oahu and Maui. Best location on Big Island is the Kohala area.

Think about a condo or townhouse. We like low-rise, low-density places.

Decide the island and get your car reserved NOW. You are coming during high season; they run out of cars!