We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

ogden, Utah
2 posts
Save Topic
What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

Hubby & I have our 6 month old & 4 year old along for a family trip. Our condo requires a 10 am checkout time, but our flight isn't until 10 pm so at the earliest we'll be at the airport at 8 pm still leaving 10 hours of free time. Only problem is we'll have all our luggage w/us in rental car & no access to showers or conveninces of condo/hotel.

I've thought about trying to hang out at Lydgate Park, but are the showers there good enough to clean-up before a flight? Is it ok to shampoo or are you only supposed to rinse off? What is proper beach etiquette?

Any other ideas out there? Open to anything. Just want to have fun on our last day, but also get to the plane clean & non-stressed before long flight home.

Thanks in advance for your help & suggestions! -Kristi

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

Can you ask for a late check out at your condo?

They may look after your luggage there for the day so you can go and venture out.

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

I too would ask for a later checkout of what kind of services your condo might have for holding bags. After that:

- go shopping. Kauai is not a shopping mecca by any stretch of the imagination, but there is some spots in Lihue like the mall etc.

-Walk around larger hotels you did not stay at. We did this will our kids at the marriot. It was close to the airport and we burned probably a couple few hours here (including dinner at Dukes). The hyatt would be another spot to walk around in and just to see the grounds.

-there used to a movie theater in the coconut grove market, not sure where you could go now. I would make sure my luggage is secure before leaving it for ~2 hrs in my car though.

- drive up the canyon and take some more pics at scenery or waterfalls etc. mght need to frequently stop for the kids to stretch their legs, but you have time to kill.

Saint Helens, Oregon
Level Contributor
214 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

With kids that age, I would find a cheap room for the day... some may have day rates, but if not, 10 hours is worth getting a hotel room to stash the stuff, come back for naps, and clean up in.

I just ran a quick search for 1 night in August and a couple places popped up for around $100 for the night. That would be more than worth it to me with kids.

Edited: 31 May 2013, 13:24
Mentor, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Waikoloa
Level Contributor
879 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

When we have a late night fligh back to the mainland, I book the condo to depart the next day. It is nice to have the extra time to do packing, light laundry, last minute shopping, or just hanging at the beach. We usually take a shower, and head out around 5:00pmish, grab a bite to eat then head to the airport.

If this is not an option, I see nothing wrong with cleaning up at the park. I do it even if I am not leaving on a plane :o)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
303 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

We were just a couple, no kids, but had a checkout time of 11 am at our condo and flight time of 7:30 pm. We secured everything in the trunk, wore our causal clothes with clothes for the flight stashed in one of our bags in the trunk to change into once we reached the airport. We had saved the Dole Pineapple Plantation for the last day. We felt ok leaving our stuff in the trunk at Dole since to anyone else we looked just like the other tourists. Luckily, we were able to secure a parking pace right up front. They do have security guards on Segways patrolling the lot. Anyway there is plenty to do & eat for a couple of hours. Nice bathrooms too. There is a petting zoo adjacent to the parking lot too.

After Dole we drove over to Cemetery of the Pacific and walked around. Very moving place with great views. The kids would be able to walk around there. Bathrooms there too. After that we decided to go on to the airport. Turned out to be a good decision. Arrived by 4 pm & had plenty of time to turn in the rent car, go through the agricultural check (didn't know about that!) go through United's check in and get behind security where we changed our clothes. It's a nice airport & there is a small garden area in the middle the kids could explore - bridge with a pond and fish. We were able to eat a leisurely dinner at Konos Brewery (nice selection of restaurants) & then stroll the airport and arrive at our gate with plenty of time. It was nice to end the vacation without all the usual hurry & rush.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
303 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

Oops - so sorry! Thought I was on the Oahu forum. My bad!

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
603 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

I would try to get a room for the day, nap time for the little one and then you can shower and leave your suitcases at the room. The Garden Island Inn is a perfect spot for that close to the beach some shopping and then the airport.

We used a courtesy room in Honolulu and we were thankful for that but would have loved to have a place to lay down and rest before the night flight home.

California
Level Contributor
35,265 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

I agree with the Garden Island Inn idea. You can get a day rate which is really cheap. Across the street from GII is Kalapaki Bay, a nice place to hang out for the day with kids, and there are many places to grab dinner before leaving for a long flight. Having hot and crabby babies on a red eye is no fun for mom, dad, and the people surrounding you. It is totally worth the money. Cindyloveskauai just stayed there for her last day. I hope she chimes in. I believe she only paid $60 for a day room.

fl
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

Nothing wrong with shampooing at the beach shower. I do agree that for $60, a day room would be a good investment in your comfort and happiness on that last day.

Have just one bag with everything you will need for your last shower and clothing change so no fumbling or suitcase searches are required.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,205 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do between 10 am checkout & 10 pm flight w/kids?

With such small kids, definitely get a room for the day. Try the Garden Island as mentioned above, other choices would be Kaua‘i Sands, Kaua‘i Palms & Kaua‘i Inn. All are pretty close to the airport and should be around $100.00.

Hindsight - if you're taking a redeye, book your accommodations an extra night.

3Chihuahuas