We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find lychee?

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to find lychee?

Hi All!

We will be returning to the magical island of Kauai in a few weeks and we are very much looking forward! Last time we visited, it was our honeymoon and we had some great experiences.

One of our favorite things to do was pick up big bags of lychee from the two women on the road right by Jack Harter helicopters. This was three years ago so of course I'm not sure if they are still there but we would love to know where a good place to get fresh local lychee would be. We love putting them in the fridge and eating them chilled!

I'm sure I'll be peppering the forum with questions in the next few weeks so mahalo in advance!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,240 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to find lychee?

Lychee is just coming into season now, so I'd think The Farmers Markets would be a good place to look.

Did you know you can get Meadow Gold Lychee yogurt?

3Chihuahuas

brooklyn ny
Level Contributor
211 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to find lychee?

Thanks for the quick reply! Good to know.

No, is that available at the local grocery stores? We are staying in a timeshare this time around so that definitely sounds like something I'd like to stock up on for breakfast.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,126 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to find lychee?

Aside from Farmers Markets, I've been noticing folks selling lychee from their cars beside the road here on the North Shore. Usually near the Common Ground turn or across from the main Princeville entrance.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,240 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to find lychee?

Yes, at the grocery stores along with other tropical flavors. Meadow Gold is the maker of POG.

California
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to find lychee?

My son fell in love with lychee on our last trip (early June of 2011). We'll be back on Kauai this year mid to late July. Will lychee still be in season then?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to find lychee?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Lychee is a very hot item here on Kaua'i and everyone loves it and craves it.....so when it goes on sale anywhere, it goes fast!

It is coming into season right now and will be thru the earlier part of the summertime......the Sunshine/Farmers Markets would be a good place to find it, but as I said, it will go fast!

The roadside folks who sell from their trucks are hit and miss, but if you see one, I'd jump on it because it might not be there tomorrow.

I have a big lychee tree in my yard, but the darn thing hasn't given us fruit for about five years now, so I'll also be one on the lookout for it.....luckily I have some friends who share their crop!

Good luck....if you look for it, no doubt you will find it!

Malama Pono,

Janet

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,902 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to find lychee?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Well, I'm seeing it for sale on our "Kaua'i Buy and Sell" FB page......it is going for "Fresh Lychee - $7.00 per quart bag or $21.00 per gallon bag. "

That is in Puhi, but I'm sure it is all around.....so your chances are good in finding it right now!

Malama Pono,

Janet

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to find lychee?

The hanalei farmer's market had lots of them today about $4 bags is what I saw. Add it to your list & get there early, they open right at 9:30 and people run towards the back where the produce tents are.

Lahaina, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to find lychee?

My refrigerator.......wifee just brought a big bag home!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,240 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to find lychee?

So, is it lie- chee or lee-chee? I've always said lee-chee

3Chihuahuas