We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surfing in Hanalei Bay...waves

NM
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Topic
Surfing in Hanalei Bay...waves

What would be the best time of day to take beginner surf lessons at the bay? Or IS there a better time? We will arrive Wed for a week. Mahalo for your answers!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surfing in Hanalei Bay...waves

We took lessons at Hanalei Bay in August 2010. Our lesson started around noon and there were a few waves to just barely push the surf board along. But it was perfect for beginners. I would think that after noon would be a good time to get some waves but it does tend to be pretty flat during the summer months on the north shore.

California
Level Contributor
9,386 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surfing in Hanalei Bay...waves

I don't think it really matters what time of day you take lessons. I see them being given pretty much all day long when we're there.

NM
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Surfing in Hanalei Bay...waves

Thanks, we were thinking of using Titus Kinimaka's school. Any thoughts on that?

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
401 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surfing in Hanalei Bay...waves

Your best bet is during high tide which can be at any time of the day but is still no guarantee. There should be an online chart of high tide timings oline somewhere. They took my 8 y/o to Rock Quarry with Hanalei having no waves for a few days and was more than the "15 minute" drive that the instructor said it would take to get there. Rock Quarry is beautiful but the the last mile getting there can be a little scary if you have nervous back-seat drivers.

Edited: 03 June 2013, 19:04
California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surfing in Hanalei Bay...waves

Just be careful this week. The surf is high and probably too high for a beginner.

NM
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Surfing in Hanalei Bay...waves

We are thinking of doing it on Sunday. I will check the online tides and weather. Thanks!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
401 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surfing in Hanalei Bay...waves

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the surf instructors. My 8y/o took lessons from the place right at the Pier - Hamilton Surfing School. The only thing that may irk you is the laid back nature of the "surfer dude" persona. They're in no rush to do anything which can be painful for east coast, type A's like me but I'm going back for a 3rd straight summer vacation so I've learned to deal with it.

8. Re: Surfing in Hanalei Bay...waves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2014, 05:17