We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Day Report

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
First Day Report

It's 4am and, regrettably, I am up and doing work which I had no choice but to bring with me on this first vacation in two years... but I had to take a quick break to say - WHAT A PLACE. I will most certainly come back and I've only been here a day and a half.

We arrived at 9pm on Saturday night and had our bags and our rental car by 10pm. Drove from Lihue to Poipu without a map and checked into our villa at Koloa Landing. By the time check-in was done, the nearby Big Save had closed (at 11pm) and we were advised that there was really no place open to eat dinner except the fast food drive-ins back in Lihue. Not sure if that was true or not, but we were too tired to look into it. We got into our room ( a 2 room villa which is advertized as being suitable for up to six adults) and it is lovely. The photos were a tad misleading in that there is one king bed, one queen bed, and a pull out (we thought there were two doubles in the non-master bedroom) and since we are five adults we are definitely sleeping on every surface available, and bunking together.

Woke up at 5am Sunday morning because of the time change, walked to the Sheraton beach and kept going east to see the sunrise. Walked back and we all went for runs of various speeds and durations. After that two of us headed to Big Save and were shocked by the prices - we were expecting high prices but $7.79 for six bagels? $5.99 for a pint of grape tomatoes? $0.79 per lime? Wow. We headed to Walmart in Lihue for staples, then came back to the Big Save for fresh produce. We spent about $350.00 and believe that we should have enough to eat with a few more $40 stops for fresh ingredients here and there. It is our preference to cook for ourselves, though we will check out a few places for lunch and dinner throughout the week. The fried food at Bubba's nearby smelled pretty good... mmmmmm.

Took about 2 hours to grocery shop and drive there and back. Home by 11am, simple poached egg, toast and sausage breakfast with one sliced tomato and half an avocado went fine between 5 people. We would love to get more fresh produce so will attempt a farmers market today.

We swam in the pool, kicked the ball around, took some photos and relaxed during the heat of the day. Packed some salami and cheese sandwiches (we usually eat nice salamis and cured meats, but are considering simpler deli meats such as bologna, which we also love but haven't had since we were kids, given the price of the "good stuff" - I think I might even try a spam sandwich - any recommendations on where?)

Once lunch was packed, we walked over to Baby Beach on Hoona Road - about a 10 minute walk from our hotel. Spent a few hours there enjoying the surf with only two other families (on a sunday!) Sadly, we watched a surfer get rescued and he looked pretty banged up. We are being very cautious with the currents. I grew up on the Atlantic Ocean and have never felt power like this before. I can see why so many people get sucked out.

After that we walked home and had a brief siesta (we all had plenty of sunblock but this sun is POWERFUL).

Then we piled into the car and drove west to watch the sunset on Polihale Beach - totally worth the drive and we think this might be a favourite spot during the week. The endless stretch of beach, the soft sand, the locals barbecuing, the kids fearlessly throwing themselves into the huge swells. We listened to some music (quietly on our ipad) and watched the sun go down. The smell of pork bbqing was making this southern girl go crazy... so one more stop at big save on the drive home to get some chops. Carrot/celery/cucumber sticks and dip, edamame with lime juice and salt to start, and then pork with hawaiian bbq sauce (with a lot of hot sauce, lea & perrins, black pepper and garlic added), and grilled ahi with grapefruit/lime marinade over avocado and grapefruit segments with lime juice and basil chiffonade, a sliced tomato with basil chiffonade, one grilled yellow pepper, and two boxes of kraft dinner (I forgot to buy potatoes and secretly we all love KD.) Coconut ice cream with lime zest and crumbled cookies (from the airplane) on top. A toast to our first day and then everyone collapsed into bed at around 10:20pm.

What an amazing place. We are so fortunate to experience this Island.

No idea what today will bring - a farmer's market, another beach? We know we will be at the Hyatt tomorrow evening for lanterns and hula, and Angeline's Lomi Lomi Massage just before that.

We are here until Saturday night - our last two nights in Princeville.

Completely and utterly relaxed. Thank you Hawaii.

Oregon
Level Contributor
75 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Day Report

Sounds wonderful so far! Can't wait for my first trip in October!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Day Report

Mahalo for the great trip report.

Can't wait for next report.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Day Report

I think you'll find the prices at the farmers market much more to your liking and the produce there is fantastic.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
382 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Day Report

Thank you very much - going to the Koloa farmer's market today. Are there any others on Monday in the south - Lihue to Waimea? I reviewed the board threads and it seems like there may just be the one here in Koloa today at noon.

Thanks again :)

also - Spam, I must try it prepared here. If you were going to recommend one place to try Spam - where would it be?

Kilauea, Hawaii
Level Contributor
687 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Day Report

Sounds Great, have fun.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,947 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Day Report

The Safeway in Kapaa (you'll drive through there on your way to Auntie Angeline's) has better prices on groceries as well. I'm wondering if Koloa Landing offers a grocery service? Something to think about for a future trip. I know Parrish does and I often send them a list of things we night need that first night and the next morning (for breakfast) so we don't have to worry about picking up groceries right away.

You do know that Auntie Angeline's is on the northeast side of the island? It's about an hour drive from Poipu to Anahola.

Here's a list of the farmer's markets on the island:

http://www.kauai.com/kauai-farmers-markets

Edited: 03 June 2013, 17:26
Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Day Report

The 3 p.m. farmers market today in Lihue is a very good one. Big and lots of selection. It is at the K-Mart lot. There is another small one Tuesday at Kalaheo, which you have already gone thru to go out west. Turn L and the only lights in Kalaheo. The Thurs market is Hanapepe - again, you have already met that sleepy town on your way to Waimea. It is a good one - be there right at 3 p.m. though!!

Do try Salt Pond beach for sunset. We go regularly throughout the year. It is beautiful - head for the south east tip on the beach. Not quite Polihale - but a lot closer (!) and still quite wonderful and with the same kind of vibe.

I'm so glad you are loving our island. Your arrival did make it difficult on Saturday. It is right that nothing would have been open that late for eating. Costco would have been your real answer, but with a move in the week, perhaps it will work out just as well doing Big Save. Yes, prices are high...it's a long ride from anywhere to get here!

You will love the views from the Hyatt. If you can, take an early morning walk up on the cliffs to the east end of the beach there - fabulous. Wear decent shoes, take lots of water and be prepared for incredible raw beauty! Keep enjoying your time!!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,777 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Day Report

Great start! Yes, after 10pm, you're stuck with fast food - that would be back in Lihue. Spam...what you need is Spam Musubi...it's a breakfast item...grilled Spam pressed between sticky rice, wrapped in Nori (seaweed) (even better with fried egg). Yes, it is absolutely delish! Some of the best are made at Village Snack & Bakery in Hanalei - not on the menu, but made in the early morning - when all gone - GONE for the day. Closer to you, Hanalima Baking has them on the menu. Corner of hwy & Puhi Rd in the green building across from the Shell station. Sueoka Store in Koloa has a great take-out window, you should try them too, good food!

Looking forward to more!

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
9,806 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Day Report

http://www.kauaifoodtruck.com/index.html

Kauai Food Truck might have something with Spam. They have great food!

California
Level Contributor
38,436 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Day Report

Why do you think you were mislead about the bed configuration? Did you rent directly through Wyndham and ask for a king and 2 queens when you booked? There are some privately owned units there too and those owners can choose the beds. Were you shocked by their resort fee? $30 is steep to me. $50 if renting through a private owner. Ouch! Makes those tomatoes seem like a bargain.