We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skateboard rental?

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Skateboard rental?

Aloha! We are in Kapaa and my 16 year old wants to rent a longboard skateboard. Left hers at home and doesn't want to buy one for $175, any ideas, or any locals can tell me where to get a low cost board? We have checked the skate shops between Kapaa and Hanalei, heading to Poipu today. Many thanks!

Chisago City...
Level Contributor
459 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Skateboard rental?

Maybe Walmart or Costco? Ask at the skateboard shop at "Yes I Skate" in Kapaa if they have one to rent or borrow?

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Skateboard rental?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I've never heard of a place here that "rents" skateboards, but as mentioned, I'd phone around to a few of the places that sell them, maybe they know of someone.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Montara, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Skateboard rental?

I have to smile, my 15 year old son has asked if he can bring his longboard (skateboard), his guitar and his ukelele. I don't know what he will do without his board for 9 days--other than get on a board in the water. He's bringing the uke for sure... But alas the rest has to stay. If you find a place please post--I would let him rent for a few days. We are there in 3 weeks. Good luck and I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Skateboard rental?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, the "Yes, I skate" shop is the only skateboard shop here on Kaua'i, here is an article about them and where they are located....unfortunately it says nothing about rentals.

thegardenisland.com/news/local/yes-i-skatesh…

Malama Pono,

Janet

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Skateboard rental?

You don't need a skateboard shop, per se. Longboards are sold in many surf shops. Longboarding is part of the surfing culture and I've seen them for sale in many surf shops in Hawaii. Longboarding began years ago with a group of surfers who came up with the devices as a way to practice their balance on surfboards. From there they became their own sport but still associated heavily with surfing in surfing communities.

So just check the many surf shops when you get to Kauai.

Edited: 06 June 2013, 03:52
Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Skateboard rental?

Mahalo for all of your replies. My daughter too traveled to Kauai with her guitar and left the longboard at home, now she will be bringing both back to California. She found a perfectly acceptable "vacation" board at WalMart! We had gone to Deja Vu and Yes I Skate before I posted here but they sell High end boards at $175 . Never found a rental but did get a few "that's a GREAT idea!" Comments from people we asked.

Tomorrow we are off to Hanalei Bay to hopefully find a surfboard to rent or borrow in the morning, then up to the Kalalau Trail.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,612 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Skateboard rental?

That's great. You're a good and realistic mom for letting the kids squeeze in their favorite things to do too.

Montara, California
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Skateboard rental?

Good times, Mebber! And good information. I am hoping I can convince my son to skip a longboard (the sort with wheels) for a week. ;) Afterall, he surfs and doesn't get the warm water much here in No. Calif. so it's a treat! Counting the days. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!!

9. Re: Skateboard rental?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2014, 05:17