We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First morning

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
First morning

Hi Gang, 6 am on Kauai, Sat 6/8. Had a long travel day yesterday. When we got to Philly, we found our flight had been cancelled from US Air. The desk said they were sorry and would book us on the first flight the next day.......NOT!!!! We had friends on a flight ahead of us who were staying with us in our timeshare.

Long story short we got on a United flight, but did not get in to 10 PM last night. No complaints, could have been much worse. Arrived ok and got upgraded to a full size new Impala, so happy campers again.

How can ya complain with a morning view like this for the next 21 days.

Coffee time , off to breakfast and get some shopping done. Aloha

California
Level Contributor
9,504 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First morning

Glad you arrived safely! Enjoy that view for the next 21 days; I'll be arriving the day after you leave. Can't wait!

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,035 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First morning

Aloha, Enjoy your stay. Nothing like getting the bump in the process over first thing. US Air never notified you of the cancellation. Shame on them.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First morning

I was just thinking of you!! I was also thinking about your flight status yesterday as it was pretty terrible so glad to hear you made it and are finally in paradise. They were just starting the roof on our building, particularly our unit just as we were leaving Thursday so we got lucky. There is a Nene there who gimps around, only has one foot. We watched him meditate on the grounds as the sun would rise lol. We named him limpy. :) enjoy your next 21 days!! One day I will have time off like that to enjoy a lengthy stay. :)

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,649 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First morning

Glad you're there! How terrible about the US Airways flight, trying to stick you on a flight the next day......what was the reason it canceled?

Enjoy,

3Chihuahuas

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,685 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First morning

Three weeks on Kauai? Wow.......early entry to heaven is all I can say!!! So lucky. That airline should be ashamed of themselves. So glad you got out of there sooner to wake up in paradise. Make sure you find a bakery and get some amazing Kauai baked goods. If we had bakeries like Kauai does, I wouldn't fit out my front door!!!! Lilikoi danishes became my favorite! Have a wonderful vacation! Deb

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First morning

Decent 1st day on the North. Getting a nice breeze with a few clouds. Enjoy!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,072 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First morning

Glad you are there...last summer we were delayed because of mechanical issues, but I still had a huge grin actually getting to Kauai by next morning. Hard to be sad when you are looking at 3 weeks on island! Enjoy your time!!

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First morning

US Air did NOT call us to notify us of the cancellation.

The reason for the cancellation was listed as "maintenance". I guess they only had one planeto use in this rotation.

Ok, enough of that. Good stuff only now.

Orientation at The Cliffs just to book some activities with our friends.

Then breakfast at Hanalei wake up Cafe. omelette with Portuguese sausage, cheese and salsa for me with rice. I eat rice with everything over here. My wife had "over the Falls" French toast, custard French toast with pineapple and whipped cream.

Got some fresh fruits from the Hanalei farmers market.

Picked up some more groceries and a nice bottle of scotch.

Off to sit by the pool for the afternoon.

Drinks on our lanai for sunset, then off to The Dolphin for dinner, pretty much tradition for us for the first night since 1985.

Life is tough........

Edited: 09 June 2013, 03:50
White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First morning

I'll follow your posts for 21 days just to re-live it all over again...you just made me realize today is Saturday! I'm still very messed up time wise and date wise...lol

Enjoy!!

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
821 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First morning

We had a terrible time too with our flights getting/canceled rescheduled and then in super late on our last trip but it was all forgotten the moment I opened the curtains on that full ocean view :)