We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,014 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

Our departure time from HNL to LAX on Hawaiian changed to an hour earlier.

1. Have not been notified by HA of the change, I check the reservations often.

2. HA didn't bother to change our LIH-HNL flight, so it left us less than an hour to make the connection.

So the first call to HA, the recording asks me for my HA miles number, I give it and the call hangs up on me.

Second call takes 5 minutes to get to a real person. They can't help me, need to transfer me, so another nearly 10 minutes of waiting, I get a live person. I tell her the problem...hummm, "No you won't make that flight"...DUH......she does put us on another flight an hour earlier. She's ready to hang up and I had to ask about seat assignment. I'd hate to be a newbie at flying and leave everything up to the airlines..jeesh!

Double check your reservations and often!

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

If other people treated us the way airlines do, these would be dubbed "abusive relationships." Toxic. And every concerned friend and loved one would tell us to get out of the relationship immediately. Yet companies get away with treating customers -- customers -- like this because they know they don't have to try harder (i.e. their competitors don't offer much in the way of an alternative).

Obviously, it's not just airlines. Lots of industries treat customers like dirt. Still, it boggles the mind.

Thanks for the reminder.

Canada
Level Contributor
9,178 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

Good reminder.

One needs to remain pro-active when it comes to Travel today....checking reservations weekly for any schedule, route, equipment, and seating changes ...puts you ahead of the game. If one relies solely on the Airline notification ...it may well come, but likely 30days out or less, when the preferred options have been taken.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

This just happened to me in May. Hawaiian airlines changed all the flight times, which left us with a ridiculous layover in Honolulu. And they have done it again my husband flies out next week and they changed his flight times. Then my daughter and I fly out the following week and again flight times changed. When I called the guy was really nice and helped me get on a different flight that wouldn't be leaving us sitting at the airport for three hours. They seem to do this all the time. Every flight we are taking somehow keeps changing times. :(

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

I wonder if you sign up for Trip It on your smart phone, if you would get the automatic change reminders. My husband swears by that ap.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
15,301 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

3chi, I had a similar problem with HA. It is a complicated situation, but long story short, if I had noticed that they changed the time of my flight from KOA to HNL, I would have missed my connection to LIH. It cost me about $100 extra to get it right. I tried to get HA to reinburse me, but no dice. I'll go check my LIH to HNL to LAX flight. Thanks for the heads up. And I appreciate your reminders. They show that you truly care about people.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
96 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

Same thing happened to us for our May flight. In fact since we booked my husband's flight via jetblue points, it was jetblue who actually called us and it was a real person too!! However had I not been present for that phone call my husband would have never thought about the connection thus I spoke up and sure enough we would not of had sufficient connection time and would have missed our hnl to jfk home! So we had to pay for the change since jetblue's system couldn't do the change. Now this is just my husband's flights. Mine were all booked with HA directly and I then had to change my connection too...you would think the HA agent would have known why I was calling, no. I had to tell him about the connection! So this all happened about 30 days from travel. Guess when HA finally notified me of the flight changes? A week before and via email. Jetblue saved us by calling that day!! Now you know...

Edited: 13 June 2013, 21:39
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,066 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

For the life of me - I don't know why daylight savings time comes as such a shock to Hawaiian Airlines. It's nothing new. They have computers .... they can figure it out. Sure, Hawaii doesn't have daylight savings - but so what? They deal with different times zone from NY to Japan (or farther).

Escondido...
Level Contributor
377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

Shoot! I booked a flight with Orbitz for Oct this year and they changed my connection flight three times. I would be sitting in the Hon airport for four hours due to them changing their flight times. I called Alaska airlines because they are flying us from San Diego to Honolulu airport. They could not give us a different airline but were able to fly us out the day prior with a direct flight to Lihue. The customer service told me to book direct next time with the airlines so i did book a trip for April with Hawaiian and now you are saying they do the same thing. Yikes! I was hoping that booking directly with the airlines we would get better customer service. I will no longer book with orbitz.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,014 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

ALL the airlines do this......with or without notifying you. The skies aren't so friendly anymore......check your reservations often!

3Chihuahuas

Escondido...
Level Contributor
377 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another reminder to check your airline tickets!

Thanks for the advice. I will for sure check our tickets as it gets closer. Only 127 more days but who's counting.