We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NCL Cruise Ship

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
NCL Cruise Ship

Hi can any one tell me if it is possible to hire a car 1 day on the island of Kauai as we are only in port for two days, any suggestion on the best sight seeing areas as time will be limeted, thanks

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
24,521 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NCL Cruise Ship

Yes, it's possible.

Do a helicopter tour.

Drive up to the north shore.

Penrith, Australia
Level Contributor
492 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NCL Cruise Ship

We've rented our vans with Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. Very easy to deal with and a good price. We have vans booked for both days on Kauai, plan to drive to Waimea Canyon on day 1 and then others in the group are driving to the Wailua river to go kayaking. I have a helicopter flight booked, which I'm really looking forward to.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NCL Cruise Ship

If you look in the right hand column under "top questions" there's a thread labelled

"Cruise ship -- what can I do in a day".

Might want to start with that one.

California
Level Contributor
38,438 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NCL Cruise Ship

The rental companies will come and pick you up, I believe. The rental companies are just a short drive up the hill.

Drive to the gorgeous North Shore. From the ship its an hour. Visit the Lighthouse, stop along the way to see the waterfalls, visit the pier at Hanalei Bay, have lunch in Hanalei and there are a few botanical gardens you could see. Further north is Ke'e Beach. It is just a spectacular drive with photo ops along the way. Stop across from the Princeville Center to take a picture of the taro fields. It will take your breath away.

IF you decide against renting a car, I recommend calling Eden Tours for their photo tour, hiking tours or they can do any type of tour you want.

www.kauaiedentours.com/Press_Release_R6AF.php

Texas
Level Contributor
821 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NCL Cruise Ship

Just be sure to allow appropriate time to get back to the ship if the ship is departing the day you are renting a car. Traffic sometimes can be a problem and there is only one road back so to speak!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NCL Cruise Ship

Happy - go up on the website for NCL and look at their excursions. Whether you want to take their excursions or not - it will give you an idea of what is available within your timeframe. The first day is good and long, the second is short.

Also note that they give you a departure time - but that is NOT the time they want you back on the ship. Usually they want you on an hour in advance.

Since you have committed to an NCL cruise - buy a good travel guidebook that covers all the Islands. We generally recommend "Hawaii for Dummies" for a good overview. It's a good investment. And get a good map as well.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NCL Cruise Ship

When I wanted a guide to just one island, I purchased and downloaded the appropriate chapter online from the Lonely Planet guide to Hawaii. Earlier this year, did it for both Maui and the Big Island.

8. Re: NCL Cruise Ship

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2014, 06:19