We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai condo recommendation for February 2014

nyc
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai condo recommendation for February 2014

Is February a good month to visit Kauai? We are two young seniors who like to snorkel, hike, relax and read, eat in nice restaurants. Any recommendations for condos with a view in the $200 a night range? Is ten nights too long for Kauai? We will also spend another ten nights on another island, TBD. What would be a good other island to combine with Kauai.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,610 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai condo recommendation for February 2014

Feb. is a great month to visit Kauai. Most people will tell you to look for a place south that time of the year (I hear Kuhio Shores has some great views). We go in Feb. and stay at Kauai Beach Villas (there are rooms to rent with ocean views in the range you want to spend). KBV is on the East side and we find it easy to go north or south from there as the weather permits. We usually go for 2 weeks at a time and I still say that's not long enough. My choice for another island would be Maui (especially for the snorkeling). Another great island for snorkeling and totally different landscaping would be The Big Island.

Texas
Level Contributor
818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai condo recommendation for February 2014

I think I would stick to south shore Poipu area that time of the year because of weather. We stayed at Prince Kuhio condos, second floor, with views of the ocean waves, and grassy Prince Kuhio park to the east. Try vrbo and rent an owner-managed unit. If you want more info, you may PM me.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 14:42
California
Level Contributor
9,748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai condo recommendation for February 2014

Check out Kiahuna Plantation. It's on a great beach and within walking distance of some very good restaurants and shopping. We've rented directly from both of these owners.

www.condokauai.net

www.kiahunaplantationcondos.com

California
Level Contributor
37,974 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai condo recommendation for February 2014

Maui has more beachfront condos. Check Napili Bay area. I love Maui (with a day trip to Lana'i)but if you like to snorkel and you have 10 days then The Big Island should be on that list.

As far as Kauai, your budget won't get your oceanfront, but Kiahuna Plantation (which a beautiful complex with a Hawaiian vibe) has garden view units in your price range.

www.kiahunaplantationcondos.com/id1.html

www.vrbo.com/global/siteFrame.aspx…

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

The other place to consider is Lawai Beach Resort. You might be able to pick up a week of someone's timeshare and then perhaps you could spend a few nights visiting the North Shore.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai condo recommendation for February 2014

Lots of condos in Poipu to pick from. Other than $200 and having a view what else are your requirements? Do you want to be on the beach? Walking distance to the beach? Mind driving to restaurants or prefer to walk to restaurants? $200 a night in February isn't going to get you oceanshore but for just a little more you can be. You should consider all of the places that line the oceanfront along Ho'one/ Pe'e Road. These are all older condos but at some of them everyone has an oceanfront view. You'd have about a 10-15 minute walk to the beaches or you can drive it but you'd be oceanfront. (the oceanfront is not sand here, it's a lava rock bluff). Many of these places are not the most highly-advertised because they have a high number of repeat clientele.

Closest walk to Poipu Beach would be: Poipu Shores and Sunset Kahili.

These are also walkable but also a closer walk to the Grand Hyatt Resort . Nice place to walk over to in the evening for dining and entertainment. These condos would be: Poipu Makai, Poipu Makai, Poipu Palms and Makahuena.

Then even closer to Poipu Beach are Nihi Kai Villas and Poipu Kai Resort. You won'tbe oceanfront in these as the buildings cascade back up the hill but you can get some great views in some units. The buildings set back the furthest can have the best views as you're at a higher elevation.

Here's a map to check them all out. The places I was talking about that are along Pe'e road are in the smaller square inset map. Click on them and it will take you to how to rent.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

Ten nights is not too long for Kauai and no moreso than for, say, Maui. On which other island you want to visit that's totally a personal decision. Are you itching to see the volcano on the Big Island? Want an island with a little more "energy" than Kauai? You'll need to do some research on which one works for you.

Edited: 15 June 2013, 18:21
Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai condo recommendation for February 2014

Forgot.......... the best deal going for condos in Poipu is Waikomo Stream Villas. Most bang for the buck, imo. This is a place where you can meet your budget. You won't be oceanfront or even oceanview and you'll have a 15 minute walk or a drive to the beach. But this is a charming complex of 2-3 -story scattered buildings built in Plantation style architecture. Units are very large and practical. Top floor units have high pitched ceilings. All units have plenty of cross-ventilation. The big benefit is you're walking distance to plenty of nice restaurants at both Kukuiula Village and Poipu Village.

Check them out at Parrish Kauai Collection, which handles the majority of units there.

nyc
Level Contributor
19 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai condo recommendation for February 2014

Thank you all for your recommendations and I have looked at many of the links and suggestions provided. I wrote to the Parrish Collection who replied with what looks like a great deal at Hanalei Bay resort, on the north side. Is the north side a mistake for February? Any comments on Hanalei Bay Resort.? They are offering an ocean view room for under $200 a night, which is right in our budget. We do not need to be on the beach but enjoy a good view. We will rent a car.

Also, I'm thinking about the big island as our second island. Is that a good mix? We would stay on each island for about 10 nights.

8. Re: Kauai condo recommendation for February 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2014, 05:17