We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is this condo so cheap???

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Why is this condo so cheap???

Here is a link to this unit at The Cliffs in Princeville. http://www.vrbo.com/373714

It's listed at only $99/night. Looks pretty good for that price! There are no reviews, though, of this unit.

Does anyone have information on this specific unit, or on The Clffs in general? I like that they have a nice pool with two hot tubs - one adults only.The views may not be fabulous, but for that price maybe we could spring for a helicopter tour to enjoy the views! Is there something really wrong with this one that we should avoid? That price is certainly temping! Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Aloha

Teri

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,160 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is this condo so cheap???

Teri - there are some very budget friendly places to stay in Princeville - actually, that area really has something for everyone - from luxury to low budget. For my first visit, I was in a studio condo for $65 a night - and my condo last year was only around $80 a night. As well, the time of year you are going is not a busy time for the north shore - summer is the busiest, so you will see more deals for when you are going.

I don't know about that unit specifically, just wanted to let you know that good deals abound. I have found Kauai to be much less expensive than Maui for lodging. I do hope someone can help with specifics for you! Good luck. :)

Edited: 19 June 2013, 18:06
California
Level Contributor
37,201 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is this condo so cheap???

I don't know this unit, but for $99/nt that is a steal. My concern is the closed curtains in the photos. No one closes their curtains for pictures. What are they hiding? I am sure there are no views, but heck for that price (and it looks like it was remodeled and is good shape) who cares. You can walk to the bluff for sunset. The entire property is nice. It isn't fancy and a bit apartmenty looking to me on the outside, but its a well run timeshare/private owner complex. The pool is small but redone and very pretty.

I am wondering if ALL dates are $99/nt. Sometimes people put a special rate on their VRBO page when they have some holes to fill. It is worth the inquiry.

cindyloveskauai is a timeshare owner at the Cliffs and she can hopefully answer the question about the location of this building. She is there every year for 2 weeks. Some front the road, but its not that busy of a road.

The Cliffs is a nice place to stay on a budget.

California
Level Contributor
37,201 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is this condo so cheap???

Another reason it could be so cheap, is it looks like the owner bought this unit in 2009. In 2009 you could buy some nice units that were in foreclosure for practically nothing. Maybe this owner was like that and therefore got a super good deal and can afford to rent it for almost free.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is this condo so cheap???

It looks just fine and a great price. From reading the description I'm getting the impression this might be just new on the market . The owner says "newly furnished" and that they're offering it at this price so you can experience it and Kauai. Either a remodel has happened or a new owner has picked it up and remodeled it before putting it back on the market?

If it's a new owner or just an owner who wants to re-introduce a unit to the market they'll oftentimes drop the price way down to attract business and build up a book of clientele. Also, what time of year are you going? If it's the winter months some north shore will drop their prices during that season.

I'm not familiar with this this unit or this complex even. I'm just speaking in general here.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is this condo so cheap???

Looks like a newly rented unit and the owner may be trying to get his/her book full.

The Cliffs is a moderate resort anyway. About 2/3s of the units are in various timeshare ownership structures and the rest are private. That furniture package doesn't look like the timeshare packages they put in over the last few years.

Call the owner and talk to them. Easy way to put your mind at ease.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is this condo so cheap???

Thanks everyone!! I will call the owner, and pm cindyloveskauai, later today. Why can't I just spend all my time either in Hawai'i or planning trips there??? Real life is calling.

Capitola, California
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is this condo so cheap???

The location is a good one in the North Shore. Probably small but you'll be outdoors most of the time anyway. Can't vouch for the interior. Ask for more photos and see if they have recommendations from people that have stayed there.

ohio
Level Contributor
123 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is this condo so cheap???

We're staying at the Cliffs in September. We booked it as a "getaway" through the timeshare for $899 for the week (to give you an example of price range), although I did see it go up to $1100/wk at one point. I've read with the Cliffs, the view/noise depends on what unit you are in....but for the price, especially if you're just sleeping there, it's not a bad deal. The Cliffs website has a map of the property, ameneties, pictures, etc. If you check with the owner, you can determine what building the unit is in and check it out on the map.

T S
Iowa
Level Contributor
10,863 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is this condo so cheap???

I emailed the owner. Will call if the response is positive. Looking at the photos more closely there seems to be traffic right outside the kitchen window and no photos of the two lanais mentioned, so probably not a location we would want. Another unit there might be good for us.

Santa Venetia, Ca...
Level Contributor
120 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is this condo so cheap???

Yes, please report back. We considered that same unit for our Sept trip but decided we wanted to pay extra for a view this time. It could be a super option for the future!