We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Night Near the Airport?

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,302 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
First Night Near the Airport?

Aloha Kauai Lovers

We are getting so excited about our first trip in March! We fly in after dark on Wednesday March, 12. We still haven't chosen yet whether we will stay in Princeville or Poipu, but we are thinking about finding a hotel close to the airport just for that first night so we can relax and unwind without driving far in the dark after our very long day of travel - 18 hours - yikes!

Any opinions, ideas or hotel suggestions for us? It will be my husband and I and our 21 year old son. Just for that one night we could share a hotel room as long as we have two beds. Thanks for any advise you can give us!

Aloha

Teri

Edited: 23 June 2013, 18:15
Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,603 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Night Near the Airport?

Hey Teri,

People may have suggestions for you, but if you get your place for that first night...I'd drive right to it. It is just as easy if not easier than driving on Maui and I think you would be so much happier waking up in "your place". Poipu is not that far and even Princeville isn't that bad and such an easy drive. Then you won't be "homeless" the next day either between checking out and checking in to condo. IMO :)

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Iowa
Level Contributor
12,302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Night Near the Airport?

Thanks travelbugged! Your experience is so helpful! Good to know the drive won't be too bad.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Night Near the Airport?

18 hours from Iowa? Your flight is 9 months away- I could be wrong, but it seems like there is plenty of time to research a faster way to get there. Just a thought, but it may be a better place to start than booking a night by the airport this far out. Seems like a long way out to book a flight also- they can sometimes change drastically when booked this far in advance so you may not want to lock into anything hotel wise until closer

California
Level Contributor
39,764 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Night Near the Airport?

30 minutes to Poipu and 50 to Princeville. Unless its pouring down rain and hard to see, its not a bad drive.

IF you do want to stay near the airport, The Marriott is the nicest and most expensive, followed by Kauai Beach Resort which is 10 minutes away. Both have shuttles to pick you up so you avoid a days rental car rate. If you are looking for pretty cheap, the Garden Island Inn is fine.

I have friends who visit the North Shore from Iowa 3 times a year and they prefer to get right up to their condo. You will probably get a breather stopping in HNL first.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Kauai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Resort
2,506 Reviews
Kauai, HI
The Garden Island Grille
The Garden Island Grille
490 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Coto de Caza...
Level Contributor
204 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Night Near the Airport?

Teri, Planning and thinking about your trip is half the fun, March will be here before you know. I agree with travelbugged, I would drive straight to your destination, and skip a place near the airport. Have an awesome time planning:)

Canada
Level Contributor
9,452 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Night Near the Airport?

Another vote for ...straight to the condo. It is not uncommon to get a "second wind" upon arrival at LIH.

The near airport options are limited and not like a typical string of airport hotels one sees across America.

Waking up the next morning actually at your destination accommodation is huge....all ready to start the holiday. You will likely be awake early and then it is a long wait for a 3 or 4 p.m. checkin....kinda wastes another day IMO.( with all your vulnerable belongings,in the trunk..

Something else to consider on the return, if your flight back to the Mainland is in the later hours of the evening (many are)......it is strongly recommended to book your place through until the next day. In doing so you have a nice cool place to secure your belongings, swim, shower, dine relax until you make your way to the Airport for the brutal flight home. We checked out early ONCE without a room for the day....never again.......like a couple of HoBos traipsing around waiting for the 10:30 p.m. Flight home.Exhausting.

Mentioned in this post
La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
17,098 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Night Near the Airport?

Exactly what Wander said! Great advice!

3Chihuahuas

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Night Near the Airport?

Another vote fro getting straight to the condo.....driving on Kauai is a snap! Deb

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Iowa
Level Contributor
12,302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Night Near the Airport?

Thanks all, for your input, much appreciated!

I know the travel time seems crazy long, but some flights listed were up to 26 hours! And with three of us going, we don't want to spend a fortune! I've done quite a bit of research and we decided we could live with this for a good price. We'll be flying from CID - ORD - SAN - LAX to LIH! Crazy yes?!? Our flight home is a good one, though - widebody 777 from HNL to ORD and then a short hop home.

When you live in a small midwestern city, your flight choices are not direct to say the least!!! We could have waited to book - we usually book about three months out. But we hear that with spring break in March, prices and choices may become even less desireable. And it's a little complicated because we used miles for some of the trip and our son is planning to go on to China from Hawaii. Anyway we are all booked and psyched up for the trip with our first visit to Kauai and our 7th to Maui!

I am sure I would prefer to wake up at our destination, wherever we decide that will be! But DH will be driving so I'll look into the choices and he can decide.

Aloha

Teri

Mentioned in this post
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Iowa
Level Contributor
12,302 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Night Near the Airport?

Oh, Wanderlust, thanks for the extra day advice, it is smart. We'll be going on to Maui after Kauai, so may do that there, but will try for a late checkout first. We'll be leaving late afternoon instead of late evening as we usualy do. So many detauls to work out - but all this help is so valuable!!!

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii