We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

Indy
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

What I like: very resort-y which my folks and MIL would love. Kids will love the pool. The bike/jog path will be great. Units are nice and you can pick where you stay [vrbo, etc.]. For lots of touring, might not be bad to be 'in between'. Price is much better than Maui where I was also looking....

What I'm not sure about: obviously no swimmable beach annoying. Doesn't get discussed here much. Many people don't recommend this area. Any negatives I'm missing? Any walking to any restaurants besides Oasis or any shops? What's up w/construction next door?

I have been round and round....

we are an active family of 5 with girls 15, 13 and boy 11. Looking forward to hiking, surfing, snorkeling, SUP, biking [on path], kayaking, ziplining. Going with my folks who like to walk, shop, restaurants and bars, be in the action, some sight seeing and my MIL who wants to relax and read books by pool or ocean but be able to grab a bite without too much trouble when wants to and be ok alone [I don't want her to be isolated] and we might be able to drag on an adventure or two...all early 70s.

I had considered Kih. Plantation, Poipu Kapili, Nihi Kai, the Marriott timeshare in Poipu, Hanalei Bay Resort, and a few rental houses [houses were vetoed by my folks].

Did I finally find it?? Oh and we're going in June 2014.

Trish

Indy
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

Edited..I have read there are shopping and restaurants across the street but can you walk safely? i think it's a busy road but it might have a button you push when light turns...blanking on the name...lol.

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

It sounds like WBR would be perfect. Its the nicest place to stay in Kapaa. Yes you can walk across the major road (Kuhio Highway) from WBR to the Safeway Shopping Center. It has a light. It also has a really good ice cream store called Tropical Dreams.

I would say the main downside is you are doing all the activities except biking at areas over 45 minutes away so every day you will be the car, in Kapaa traffic and off to the North Shore or Poipu. Not too many "bars" close by, but you can drive to Trees Lounge. Your MIL won't be isolated.

WBR's pool is very nice with a small lazy river. Last time I was on the property, I didn't a lot of teens, but did see the diaper set. It is probably different during the summer.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

There are probably 10 restaurants in walking distance. Oasis, Bull Shed, Bobby Vs, 3-4 in the Safeway center, 2 just north, Wahoos, plus a couple more within another 100 yds. With the path finishing, these become easier and easier to reach. Soon the Coconut Marketplace will be a 5-8 min bike ride away, and it looks to be coming back a little bit.

There is a pedestrian cross walk with a button to get the lights to go red to get to the Safeway/Foodland side of the street.

The beach is actually quite nice. It's just not protected from the ocean by any reef and the east side can have wind driven waves in trade wind weather. But there are a number of other east side beaches with lifeguards etc in more like 15 min travel. E.g. Lydgate and Kealia. Kalapaki Bay is maybe 15 min away.

Drive time to Poipu is more like 35 min. We make it in 45-50 and we live another 8 miles up the highway and have a long driveway.

Hanalei is 23 miles or so and that will take 45-50 min.

Kapaa traffic is often exaggerated. I've been through there a lot lately at all hours and never had much hold up except for today with the water main break. Most of the road work is just about done so it should be even better next year except perhaps northbound in the evening commute. It's nowhere near as bad as what I've experienced in parts of Maui.

Kayaking the Wailua River is maybe 5 min away most of the time.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,223 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

When we used to visit we always stayed in Kapa`a and never found the lack of a swimming beach a problem. We were always out exploring the island. Being walking distance to shops and restaurants is nice as well.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,327 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

It seems it would tick most of the boxes except you commented that not being on a swimmable beach is annoying.

Only you can decide if that's a deal breaker for you. Beaches are important to some families and they'd rather not have to load up the car and drive every time they want to head out to the beacOther families don't care and stay at Waipouli Beach Resort for the pools.

Other than this it might be a good fit.

Indy
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

thanks for all the feedback...

anyone know how the construction next door will affect noise? or is it complete [was reading reviews on tripadvisor and someone complained about all the noise]?

we usually spend days exploring but it's nice to have a few hours to hang on a beach here and there...not sure.

thanks for all the help.

trish

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

What construction are you talking about? The bike path? I don't know of anything being redone right next door. There is an older condo building on one side. Its kind of dumpy. Perhaps they are fixing that up. Maybe Dave knows of some construction issues.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

The only construction I see in the area is the bike path being poured just north. And they're about 85% done with that. There is also some construction replacing a water main another half mile north but again, look to be finishing up.

South of WBR is some road construction associated with another piece of the multi-use path. Nearly done there too but I hope there's a huge traffic jam for a few nights due to repaving!

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

I love the East side. Love the bike path. Love the beaches---for sitting on and wading in some spots. If we don't want to go all the way north or south to snorkel, it's not far from Anini. Lydgate use to be really great and convenient, too. Hopefully it's clearing up after the maintenance that was done on it a couple years ago. We've even snorkeled at Moloa'a (a really beautiful gem on the East side). There are also some great surfing to be seen along the bike path. WPR is in a great location for walking to stores and restaurants. We also find east very convenient for a rather quick trip north and south. But then, apparently unlike anyone else who travels to Kauai, we will often spend the whole day on the East side---checking out waterfalls, snorkeling Lydgate, checking out the farmers markets, shopping, walking the bike path (have actually seen some beautiful sunsets from there! and yes, I know the sun sets in the west, but the skies will change colors to the east, too), heading to Smith's garden or Luau, the Fern Grotto, the Arboritum, hiking the trails, watching sand volleyball on Kalapaki Beach, canoeing the WAilua, checking out the many great restaurants, sitting on the beach with a mango colado and staring out at the beautiful ocean, or just hanging out at our resort pool area. I think the people who say there's nothing to do on the East side have never given it a try. As for the traffic, I'll agree with Dave that it's never really been a problem for us in our 11 trips to Kauai. Sure there are slow downs, but there is the bypass, and people are actually courteous on Kauai---if you live in a city, it's nothing like rush hour traffic!

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,319 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Waipouli Beach Resort for my group?

OK, slabeaume! You have me convinced to look at the east side again!!! Sounds wonderful, and I know from your blogs that you know how to have a great time on vacation!

I think I am fretting as much as you are over finding the perfect place TnT. Except I'm trying to find a place on Kauai and on Maui, not one or the other. Pleasing family memebers can be a tough job! Sometimes I am wishing it was just DH & me! Maybe we will need our own private getaway after this trip!

Good luck!