We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

condo for next summer

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Topic
condo for next summer

Family of 5 seeks a condo on the north shore. Please recommend something. We would to stay 3 weeks or a month. Would like ocean view, decent pool, and beach access is a plus. Now the hard part... budget for one month 3300 or 900 a week. Found a place at the cliffs for 930 per week any ideas on this place or sea lodge? Or anything else?

California
Level Contributor
37,996 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: condo for next summer

Cliffs has the better pool vs Sealodge. Both do not have good beach access. Sealodge has nicer views but for a family of 5 I think they are too small. Cliffs is actually nice for families on a budget. It has a putting green and basketball court.

$900 a week won't get you an ocean view, I bet, but you will be close to the bluff for a walk at sunset. My vote goes to Cliffs, but there are other choices in Princeville like Plantation or Nihilani. They are newer, have a nice pool but again no pool or beach access.

Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,123 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: condo for next summer

Ditto everything jebett said. Also, you might want to try some VRBO listings - both condos and homes. For a stay that long, you may be able to negotiate a decent price.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
951 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: condo for next summer

Here are a couple links for condos in the same area that fits your budget, and are really nice - both 2bd-2ba -http://www.vrbo.com/21234 - a great view, nice & quiet. Also, http://www.vrbo.com/68740 - our personal favorite. This one has a mountain and a distant ocean view, and a greenbelt right off the lanai for the kids to play, plus the pool/spa/bbq area was recently redone. There is really no safe beach access from either one, but Hanalei Bay and other great beaches are a short drive. The complex is smaller, and the grounds are well kept. Walking distance to the Princeville Center, too. Echoing jebett, Sealodge has some great views, but the condos are small, and with 5 it might be pretty cramped. The Cliffs is nice, but have not stayed there.

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: condo for next summer

Thanks for the input. That condo at Ali kai looks good and the monthly is below budget. Would you feel safe alone with kids there? Was trying to stay away from ground level as part of the trip will be without hubby.

Thanks for posing jebett. I was hoping you would comment. I have ruled out sea lodge.

California
Level Contributor
37,996 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: condo for next summer

Alii Kai are nice. Not fancy and I would find one with a better view because AK have wonderful views and its worth it. You might get lucky and find an upper unit closer to the bluff for a better price, but honestly, Cliffs is really nice for kids because of the amenities. They have tennis, basketball, a putting green, a nicer pool and a playground. Cliffs is mainly timeshares which is why finding a private rental is tough.

I would seriously consider Nihilani. Aloha Condos rents some nice units there and it might be a bit more secure. Nihilani has some full time residents.

alohacondos.com/kauai/…11c

You might be able to work something out for such a long stay. You will not get beach access (but you won't anywhere unless you pay bigger bucks at Hanalei Bay Resort), you won't get views, but they are 3 bedrooms and new. Nice kitchens and nice pool area.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
5,801 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: condo for next summer

Personal safety is not a giant issue. Kauai mostly has petty crime of the burglary type. Princeville is pretty close to Mayberry except for the light fingered break in artists. Keep your valuable locked up (or left at home). Things like cameras, laptops/tablet computers, jewelry, cash are what they are after.

That said, every once in a while there's something ugly that reminds us that Mayberry was just a TV show. If you are nervous, get a unit with less privacy.

California
Level Contributor
37,996 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: condo for next summer

In Princeville, thieves seems to target private homes, not condos where there are lots of curious eyes.

Good advice to keep laptops out of view and don't bring fine jewelry and cash and keep it out in view either especially while away at the beaches.

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
951 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: condo for next summer

Alii Kai has 2 phases - all 2bd-2ba. AK 1 is closer to the bluff, which means better ocean views (not all, but most of them). AK 2 is located behind & to the side, with more of a peekaboo ocean view, although some of the 2nd floor condos have a nice view. We like the pool area better at AK 2, but both are fine. I can recommend a nice 2nd floor unit at AK 2 if you would feel more secure, ( - http://www.vrbo.com/78154 - a real bargain, too!) but as others have said, it's a very safe area. We have rented several units in both phases over the past few years, and have never had any issues. The owners are great to deal with as well. Happy planning !!

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
471 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: condo for next summer

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The hunt is on! Thanks for the safety assurance. I felt safe on our trip last September. Can't wait to introduce my kids to Kauai.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
202 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: condo for next summer

I can say that my husband and I stayed in the Ali Kai condo here http://www.vrbo.com/68740 that BKnox58 recommended above in April 2012 and we loved it! I remember looking at the pictures of the condo before we went and telling myself to not get too excited because the pictures were probably made to look really good, but I was amazed that everything was exactly the same if not better. As you can see by my Facebook album https:/… my outside pictures look just as good if not better than the ones posted. I would definitely recommend the north shore and Scott's condo at Ali Kai :)

Have a great trip!