We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
602 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

Hi everyone.

My family of 4 (myself, wife, 12 and 8 year old boys) will be coming to Kauai for the first two weeks of August. We've been to Oahu and Maui numerous times, but this is our first trip to Kauai.

I've been to 3 Luaus in Hawaii with a paid admission charge, and they were all ok, but never felt like they were worth the price tag. In Maui, there are lots of family friendly events around the island in places like Kihei, Kaanapali, and Lahaina (i.e. - the live performances at Whalers Village). I fully understand Kauai is nothing like Maui. However, I really enjoyed the live (and free) performances where they had Luaus performed by kids and adults.

Is there anything similar to this on Kauai? I've looked at the events calendar, but I mostly see live music, and nothing like what I described above. Thanks!

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I'm assuming you are looking for free hula/tahitian dance performances? Yes, we do have them here.....

Coconut Marketplace, Kapa'a.....hula/tahitian dance at centerstage..... Wednesday at 5pm and Saturday at 1pm

Po'ipu Shopping Village.....Tahitian dance performances.....Every Monday and Wednesday at 5:00

Grand Hyatt Kaua'i.....Seaview Terrace, free keiki hula show.....7pm to 8pm on Tuesdays and Saturday nights....free.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

Wow - that was quick! Thanks for the response koloagirl.

I re-read my post, and I meant to say that we liked the "hula" performances - not Luaus. But, you read my mind, and that was exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again, and take care!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,521 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

Free hula shows? Sure!

Coconut Marketplace: http://www.coconutmarketplace.com/

Poipu Shopping Village: http://poipushoppingvillage.com/

Torchlighting at the Hyatt: Tues, Fri & Sat at 6:30 pm (I think) followed by keiki (kids) hula on Tuesday & Saturday.

3Chihuahuas

Edit: Janet we think alike, but you must type faster!!!!

Edited: 04 July 2013, 23:04
Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

Janet won't say this but she is the narrator of the torch lighting at the Hyatt. Another reason to go see the Keiki hula there.

Manhattan Beach...
Destination Expert
for Los Angeles, Redondo Beach, Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach
Level Contributor
19,848 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

Go to the Hyatt at 6 pm and grab a comfy seat at the Sea View Terrace. Listen to the Hawaiian singer for a half hour, then you'll be all set for the Torchlighting ceremony at 6:30. Can order a beverage or appetizer if you want. Stay as long as you like, wait for the kids show, very good.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
602 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

Thanks so much everyone!!!

wellington, fl
Level Contributor
171 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

Back in 1998 the St. Regis (only it wasn't called that at the time) had a hula performance in the lobby (I think it was there) and the lady was amazingly talented....anyone know if St. Regis still has performances for time to time? Mahalo in advance, K.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

Aloha from Kaua'i!

The old Princeville Hotel used to have live Hawaiian music in the "The Living Room" with a well known Hawaiian singer.....she is not working any longer at the new "St. Regis" to my knowledge, but it does indicate on their website that they have "live entertainment'....however it doesn't indicate where or who is performing. I'm afraid I don't know either other than the "Mailani" Dinner Show.

http://urahutia.net/

starwoodhotels.com/stregis/…

Malama Pono,

Janet

9. Re: Low-key perfomances without the high price tag

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 07:18