We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tunnels Parking

Dawson Creek, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Tunnels Parking

Just reading an earlier post about the parking at Tunnels.......Is the person still charging for parking in the lot across the hiway from the beach access, as we have used this lot on occasion and it sure is worth the $10 the guys were charging.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tunnels Parking

Scott,

I believe that the county came down on the person using that field as a parking lot biz, and it may no longer be an option.

What we do , as usually the two narrow dirt side roads are filled up, and sometimes even later arrivals block of cars from getting out of there........we just drive up to Haena Beach, and park and walk along the shore line back to tunnels.

Just FYI weekends are going to be busier, at least that is what we have found, so a week day might be a better deal all around.

Now, we only carry our snorkel gear, towel, and beach mat. Most of that is in our scuba diving back pack that makes thing easy. we see many people with umbrellas, coolers, beach bags, towels, sand chairs, arriving at the beaches......so if that is the case, you could drop the family off as close as you can get to tunnels, and the one person go up at park and walk back down.

Just an idea. Oh, and we do not walk on the main road, it is very narrow and in many places no shoulders.

We did that once, and now stick to walking along the beach with the beautiful views, water lapping at the bare feet, and no vehicle traffic to mow you down.

Others may have more of an update on that paid parking field near tunnels but that was the latest that I am aware of.

Enjoy the the north shore

Edited: 07 July 2013, 18:45
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,518 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tunnels Parking

I haven't seen the parking guy for quite a while. I believe the county shut him down.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,436 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tunnels Parking

We drove out there on July 4th and 5th. The little parking lot next to Tunnels was indeed shut down and is no longer there. We obviously went on a holiday weekend so I expected the parking to be non-existent. I was right!! It was wall to wall parking a long the streets in many areas and there was no parking at all. Hopefully, you will go mid-week and not on a holiday. Your best bet (sorry, if this was already mentioned) is to park at Haena State Park and walk back.

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tunnels Parking

I have NEVER been able to park at Tunnels even in May. I guess I go too late, but we park at Haena and its a good walk but doable. The parking lot was shut down last year.

5. Re: Tunnels Parking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 05:18