We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waimea Canyon Planning

ohio
Level Contributor
119 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Waimea Canyon Planning

We're planning a rough outline of our days in Kauai in Sept. We've scheduled a morning Na Pali tour our of Kekaha which would get back to the dock at noon. The plan is to grab some lunch and head up to Waimea Canyon [we're staying on the north shore, so I'd like to get some of the south side items out of the way in one day]. As of right now, we're not planning on doing any hiking, just stopping at some of the lookouts and heading back down.

How long does an average canyon trip take? We'd like to go to the Kalalau and/or Pu'u o Kila Lookouts.

What other ones are worth stopping at?

Thanks!

Kalaheo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Waimea Canyon Planning

It is 18 miles from Waimea to the Kalalau lookout. You may average 25 mph, so about 45 minutes. The Pu'u o Kila lookout at the end of the road is the best. No reason to also stop at the Kalahau Lookout. If the weather is dry at Pu'u o Kila, walk to the right of the parking lot and hike down the trail for a while to see much better views of the Kalahau Valley. That is assuming there is visibility to the ocean which many times goes away in the afternoon. The best canyon views are from the Waimea Canyon and Pu'u Ka Pele lookouts. I also highly recommend stopping at the lodge and visiting the museum. It provides a great history of the canyon area. If you spend 30 minutes at each stop, the whole trip up the canyon will take 2-3 hours. Enjoy!!

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waimea Canyon Planning

Abslolutely , follow through with your plan . After you return from the Napali Boat Trip, head up to the wiamea canyon lookout, get your photos, and then continue on at go up to the pu'u o kila lookout for fabulous views of the Kalalau Valley.

Time is not gong to be a big deal. You are already there, enjoy.

On the way back to the north shore, you might want to break up the trip for a late lunch early dinner. Suggest what we like to do, but we live in Lihue. We stop once we get down to the main hwy, at the Grove which is a neat fun restaurant, kick back, easy and freindly at the Waimea Plantation Cottages.

You have a longer drive, but so what, enjoy the island beauty, and maybe stop in Kapa'a , and have a super lunch that will work for dinner as well, at the OLYMPIC cafe. Then kick back drive on up to the north shore.

Others will have some neat ideas as well. You can mix and match anything that feels good to you.

Now, one thing that we do, that many visitors do not. We look up at the mountain and ridge area and check out the cloud cover, rain clouds, etc., and if they are covering the ridge or mountains, we go to plan B.

So, if you wish, you might have a back up plan if the mountains are socked in. No view available if that is the case. After the boat, you also could stop in Koloa Town, Poipu , Spouting Horn area, and have lunch there. Torilla Repubic and Kalapaki Joes Poipu are our favorites, and we have the most fun. Others will also have their suggestions.

Main thing is gave a good time, and what I did as far as getting off mainland style, when visiting. I tossed my watch in the drawer at the condo. Pretty much the same for living here. I generally resides in my night stand table next to the bed.

We were here to enjoy Kauai, and cast off the contact with the mainland. So we just enjoyed sharing Kauai Island, and did not pay much attention to time, unless we had an appointment for an activity.

Anyway, there is one idea, and I understand it is definitely not the most popular, but it worked well for us.

When that boeing was hooked up to the tug, and I felt pushback at LAX, we were on Kauai Time.

Edited: 08 July 2013, 20:47
Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,846 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Waimea Canyon Planning

Aloha from Kaua'i!

"No reason to also stop at the Kalahau Lookout"......no offense meant, but this would be the "Kalalau Lookout" as in Kalalau beach......

Malama Pono,

Janet

4. Re: Waimea Canyon Planning

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 05:17