We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hertz rental cars

Spring Valley...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hertz rental cars

We rented a car from Hertz on july 1st 2013, on Kauai. We had booked it ahead of time. We waited in line at the desk for over an hour.( there were only 4 people in front of us) There were 3 people behind the desk who spent most of the time talking and laughing among themselves, they barely looked at the customers. By the time we finally got our car, the waiting line was out the door and there were a lot of angry people. Another person in our group rented from Alamo, and the whole transaction took 15 minutes!

We will NEVER rent from Hertz again----ANYWHERE!!!

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
678 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hertz rental cars

Sorry for your experience, but thanks for the info.

California
Level Contributor
9,582 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hertz rental cars

We were at Hertz to pick up our car on June 30 and had a similar experience. We're "Gold Club" members and were hoping to find our car ready and waiting for us. Nope--took about 30 min. Saw lots of folks unhappy with Hertz.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,823 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hertz rental cars

Let Hertz (corporate) know about your experience. While I appreciate you posting on the forum, nothing will change unless you let upper management know.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
36,716 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hertz rental cars

Just because you probably paid more than renting through any of other company on the island, doesn't mean they are more efficiant.

It would be surprising to me if the employees were goofing off while no one in line said anything. I know I would have. Did you? Did it look like they were having a difficult reservation? That happened to my at Alamo in May. There were two at the counter and one was dealing with a foreign traveler and selling him insurance. He was very confused.

My husband rented from Hertz in LA for 2 months straight when he started his new job. I have never seen a more efficiant operation (except ABQ Enterprise)

Call the manager at Hertz on the island. Let them know. Write a letter to corporate. Put a review on YELP. You'll get a response, but to say you want to punish Hertz for a couple of possible idiot Kauai employees is not fair. Just my opinion.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,722 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hertz rental cars

I agree with calling the Kaua`i manager and contacting Hertz corporate. They may not be aware of a problem that needs solving unless you let them know.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hertz rental cars

I had the same experience with Avis on Maui last fall. It happens, and it is maddening. Travelers are tired and anxious to get to the destinations.

It sounds like Kauai has a problem, and you all should contact Hertz and let them know. Hertz WILL want to hear from you.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hertz rental cars

in my opinion and experience, this is nothing new. I went through a similar deal with THRIFTY, and it was bad. The whole plan generally is to up sell you on insurance, belittle your knowledge of your personal auto insurance coverage ,and be a general pain in the Okole as per their normal operataing procedures.

This was at LAX when I returned to the mainland. I did my normal deal, no checked luggage, one carry on only, and sitting next to the door of the bus, so when it opened I was the first one off and at the counter.

Oh, prior that, I waited for the thrifty van, for about 30 minutes, and when I spotted it, it was out in about the third lane from the curb, not stopping at the rental car van stop. I hauled my carry on, out into traffic, and waved at the driver, and he stoppped and I got in.

Finally, we get to the thrifty offfice, and in I go. First in line. I lay out my D/L, AAA Insurance card, credit card and my computer copy of my reservation number. Also I had signed up for supposed quicker service and had sent in my drivers license info to them as well.

The guy looked at me, picked up my AAA card and actuall threw it toward me, snearing " This insurance is no good." I said it better be since I confirmed it with AAA. " So , he starts in on me, trying to upgrade me on a large car. . I already had upgraded on the computer. And I was by myself.

I told him I did not need the extra insurance, nor an upgrade, it was a long wait for their van, it was after midnight, and I just wanted to be on my way to huntington beach. He just ingnores my request, and types this and that, and fools around, and keep trying to upsell me on their coverages telling me that I had to pay such and such deductable if I damaged the car. " I understand, I would have to pay the same deductable if I had a car accident with my own vehicle. I have coverage plus more coverage and over insured, so it wlll not be a problem, just give me the car. "

Nope, this continues, and the he hands me one of those tablet types of computers. Tells me to read and sign. These are super long paragraphs of legals ease. I can see that now there is huge line out to the door waiting on me. Now, I do not trust Thirfty, as the several diferent pages of paragraphs, say " I Accept " instead of " I decline. " Actually their lawyer has it written that you accept paying the deductable and are totally responsible. Once I caught onto that, I just used that electronic pen and zipped thru the pages as quickly as possible.

I also delcined them putting gas in the car. I advised him at the beginning that I would return it full. He snears at me, " Be sure it is totally full , or you will be charged." Thrifty has some kind of an electronic sensor that they wave over the fuel filler pipe, plus you need your gas receipts."

I am finally out of there, and the next poor victim walks up to the same upsell attack. This guy was the only one waiting on people and just repeated the same hassel , that he learned in Thrifty's how to upsell school. I felt for those behind me, they would be there for an hour or two.

Last trip to the mainland, which was a few short months after the THRIFTY expereience I reserved with ETERPRISEe, upgraded on the computer one higher vehicle. Van ( LAX to rental car lot ) was there in short order, I was first off, and to the desk. I was greeted with a smile, and laid all my info out as I always do to speed things up.

Easy greeting by a happy lady, ENTERPRISE.zippidy do dah, I was out the door, a gentleman greeting me in the lot, showed me the correct row to pick any car , and color. I did a walk around pre-flight, and was on my way and out the gate in short order.

Oh, and I paid about $ 127.00 for a week including all of the airport taxes, and extra charges. Thank you Enterprise. No added in Insurance or fuel charge.

So, I will add Hertz to my list, write their name down and draw a line through it, and toss it in the same round file ( trash bin ) as Thrifty.

Thrifty is not the only obnoxious and rude rental car company that I have delt with. It seems that is becoming the norm. Personally, I gravitate toward nice folks, an honest price, and some of that good ol aloha, no matter where it is that I rent.

Edited: 12 July 2013, 03:01
NJ
Level Contributor
10 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hertz rental cars

Same issue June 30. We are gold and we were never on the list - had to wait on line with only one attendant. Then they upgrade our Focus request to a giant Suburban sized SUV (thanks but no thanks). We waited to get a smaller vehicle. Had same experience last year. Not sure Gold membership is enough to make me rent at LIH again.

9. Re: Hertz rental cars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 July 2014, 06:19