We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

Hi, everyone.

Based on the input from my previous posting, I narrowed down to the two condos: Nihi Kai Villas and Poipu Sands. With our kids (12 and 9 years olds), our wish list includes: a) within a walking distance to a swimmable beach, b) ocean view, 2BDs with a budget of $200-250 per night, and

c) an onsite pool. We found almost perfect units in both condos. We are visiting Kauai next April during the spring/Easter break. Which would you recommend for us? Thank you in advance for your advice. The TripAdvisor community has been very helpful.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

We have stayed several times over our 12 years of visits at Poipu Sands through suite-pardise, and loved it. Still do.

But, if you can get a vew unit at Nihi Kai.....wow! You might check our their website. Those huge windows and views of poipu beach area, the coast line, ocean, and mountains.......pretty hard to beat that.

You can walk over to brenneckes and poipu beach. I am not sure about a pool at Nihi Kai, but the probably have one, so double check on that.

Nihi kai , just might fit your request list.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

Walking distance to a swimmable beach would put Nihi Kai in the lead. They're both walking distance but Nihi Kai is quite closer to Brennecke's Beach and Poipu Beach Park.

Poipu Sands is also walking distance to these same beaches but it would be about a 15 minute walk at least and more difficult if you're lugging a lot of beach stuff. The nice thing about it is most of it would be on he paved greenbelt walkway that winds down the hill through Poipu Kai Resort.

Are these the only options you're considering? There are condos in Poipu Kai Resort that are closer to Poipu Beach Park than either of these two. These would be in the Manualoha or Kahala divisions of Poipu Kai. The buildings are numbered with the lowest numbered buildings being the closest to the waterfront and the numbers go up as you go up the hillside. Pretty much all of the units at Manualoha or Kahala is a closer walk to Poipu Beach than Poipu Sands.

Denny, are you referring to a particular unit at Nihi Kai? Most units there do not have views of Poipu Beach, the coastline, and mountains. Most are gardenview units. What you describe are a select few units at the highest elevations of the complex, building 8. I just want to make sure the OP doesn't get the impression you get that with every unit there.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 22:10
Upland, California
Level Contributor
162 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

We stayed at Nihi Kai last month with our three kids. The location is so convienent. We walked to both Brennecke's and poipu beach park most days. The pool is basic but nice. My kids also enjoyed the paddle tennis court. Parking was easy. We had unit 600, an end unit which was huge and beautiful.

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

We just stayed in Unit 521 in Nihi Kai. We had a beautiful ocean view on the third floor, which is a 2 bedroom unit. We also have a 9 & 12 year old and this unit was perfect for us. The location was incredible. We rented thru Parrish. We will definitely return!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

I should have been more clear. Yes, you can get ocean views in a few of the buildings at Nihi Kai. But very few units have combined views of the ocean, coastline and mountains. That's what I was referring to - units that have views of it all.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

We recently stayed at Nihi Kai #827 (late June into July). We have stayed at several other Nihi Kai units over the years as well as several units at Poipu Sands (#523 in June 2012). We loved each location for different reasons. But for a very nice pool (recently remodeled), ocean front, I would recommend Nihi Kai. We also found the views to be outstanding! We had a very large, 2 bed/2 bath unit for close to $200/night. It's also walking distance to Brennecke's Beach and Poipu Beach Park. The sunset views are incredible. Poipu Sands also has a nice heated pool, great sunrise views and close to the Hyatt Hotel (which we thoroughly enjoyed). Of the two locations, I like the pool at Nihi Kai better as well as the fabulous sunset views. BTW, our views from #827 had it all, ocean, Poipu shoreline, sunset and mountains.

Edited: 20 July 2013, 04:26
Sacramento...
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

Thank you, everyone, for your advice. Sorry I cannot thank each one of you. Napaguy, I checked Manualoha and Kahala within Poipu Kai. Both look very nice, but they are out of our price range (over $250/nt). So,

I'm thinking of going with Nihi Kai for the proximity to beaches, shopping and restaurants. Otherwise, units I selected for both places seems to be nice with ocean views. I'm glad to know Nihi Kai is nice because somewhere I read that says it is a rather plain apartment. I cannot wait to visit there.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,902 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

Sunflower, as with all privately owned condominiums that are rented out to vacationers it all depends on the unit you get. There can be a good swing in the quality of the unit and any updates the owner has done. Rental agencies do try to get their owners to update, update, update but they can't force them as long as the unit is clean and everything in good shape.

So how are you renting? Are you renting directly from an owner or are you renting from an agency? If an agency hopefully it's an agency that provides photos of each unit and let's you pick the one you want. These units aren't turnkey. They're not all furnished the same. It's up to the individual owner. I've been in some very basic units at Nihi Kai and I've also been in some units that would really wow you. You should be able to know what you're paying for before you get there and it should be reflected in the price.

I've read reviews of Nihi Kai units that weren't so generous. These tend to be units that haven't been updated, are on the ground floor with no view or breeze, or both. Then there are reviews from units that knocked the renters socks off. All depends. So it's critical for you that you know the unit you're getting.

Edited: 21 July 2013, 04:07
Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,650 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

Ditto what Napa said. We have stayed in 4 different units at Nihi Kai. All different with varied interiors. We've stayed in very basic to extremely nice. I read the reviews and look at the pictures. Location is a big factor. We rent from Parrish because I know their units are well maintained and clean. Excellent customer service with an onsite property manager.

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
22 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nihi Kai Villas or Poipu Sands?

Thank you, Napaguy and Martik. I checked Parrish. They have a few units within Nihi Kai that fit perfectly into my criteria. I also have one unit that I found in VRBO with excellent reviews and great ocean reviews, which is comparable to the ones I looked at through the Parrish, except a little lower rate. I almost made up my mind to go with Nihi Kai in in Building 4 on the 3rd floor. Again, thank you everyone for your great input.