We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paradise not lost

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,589 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Paradise not lost

The usual blog will probably come tomorrow as we are sitting on Maui. These 2 weeks have been fabulous and today was as well until we arrived home from our day. We arrived back home at 3:30pm to some crackhead quickly leaving our house after he broke into it. He left the back way as the kids and I were entering the front. He ran into my aunt and luckily he didn't do anything to her. At first we didn't think he had gotten inside because everything was perfectly locked up and all electronics and camera stuff was still there. The police weren't sure how he got in... Somehow thru a second story window or jiggled a sliding door on the master bedroom balcony (high- no access). Everything looked perfect though. We soon realized things had been gone through and money was missing. Unfortunately this house doesn't have a safe. He found 2 of 5 places of money. Ugg! You try to do everything right, but things still happen. Talking to a neighbor we've gotten friendly with the last couple years- found out this house has been broken into a few times. Anyway, after 2 fabulous weeks and a day of snorkeling with turtles and octopus, swimming at Hanalei, and an ending of a beautiful sunset, I still love this place. Had to pack up with much sadness tonight and tomorrow we will continue the adventure on Maui.

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,094 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paradise not lost

Soooo sorry to hear that. Glad you are all safe, but what a way to wind up your Kaua'i experience. Your attitude is a lot better than mine would be. Great post title. Prayers for the next leg of your journey.

~Susan

Indy
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paradise not lost

scary glad you are all ok.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paradise not lost

I'm so sorry this happened to you on our beautiful island. But I am very glad you know Kauai well enough not to let this incident color your time and experience here. It HAS still been wonderful from all accounts you've given! And thank God you didn't lose more or come to any harm.

Have a wonderful and safe journey to and on Maui....and never lose that strong, healthy and practical attitude! You obviously know - it makes all the difference!

Aloha!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Paradise not lost

So sorry to hear of the intruder! Glad to hear no harm came to your ohana. I cant imagine how this must have shocked you all and shook things up. You are such a beautiful amazing person Jennifer, you and family deserve all the best as your paradise vacation continues on - one day at a time. Virtual hugs coming your way...🌴🌺🍍🐬🐙💌

Linda

Edited: 21 July 2013, 13:30
Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paradise not lost

May only the good memories remain, and may you make more on Maui.

Looking forward to traveling with you to the Valley Isle.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,491 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paradise not lost

"I still love this place."

I am just so impressed with your attitude and ability to take the good, deal with the bad and not let the experience color your wonderful experiences for the worse. I'm thankful your aunt wasn't hurt when she ran into that bad guy. Your family had the best time ever on Kauai and I'm sorry the last night wasn't perfect. You deserved a perfect ending on the island you love.......

The love and happiness your family shares really comes through in your photos, so I am quite relieved that thief was too stupid to take your cameras.........looking forward to your Maui journey and more amazing photos! Deb

Edited: 21 July 2013, 15:51
Troutdale, Oregon
Level Contributor
331 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paradise not lost

I got chills reading about your encounter. How scary. So glad you all are o.k. Still, it can be very unsettling knowing that someone has been in your safe haven.

On a happy note, I've thoroughly enjoyed your blog and wish you and your family safe and happy travels while you continue your journey on Maui! : )

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Paradise not lost

So sorry to hear about the robbery. Glad "all" he took was money. Have fun on Maui!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Paradise not lost

"Talking to a neighbor we've gotten friendly with the last couple years- found out this house has been broken into a few times"

It's possible it's this same guy each time. He knows it's a vacation rental and probably has the place mapped out and how to quickly get in. Probably time for the owner to install security cameras or at least a safe for guests.

Have a great time on Maui. I'm sure many of us will be following your Maui blog.

Texas
Level Contributor
841 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Paradise not lost

I am so glad no one was hurt--especially your aunt, since she "ran into" him. I am so sorry though. Thankful for your sweet attitude. Thankful you still have lots of good things to look forward to on Maui!