We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

New York
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

So I understand that Popoi and the south side of the island will be a better bet for sunny dry weather. Yet from everything I've read I wonder if we would be happier in the north (or even the east) side anyway. We are the types who like being away from the more touristy areas and don't mind things a bit rough around the edges. We're not big on sunbathing -- we usually go to the beach to snorkel or to walk, not to hang out. We also want to hike and see a lot of the terrain. We don't care about shopping or eating out as we'll probably mostly cook at home. And rain? Well, some is fine. Obviously deluges wouldn't be ideal...

We intend to rent a place, and I've noticed that most of the accommodations in the south seem to be condos. We'd rather stay in a B & B or a private apartment or cottage. We've had great experiences renting studios or guest houses from local owners on other trips, so I guess that's our bias. The resort-y thing isn't for us.

We'll be staying for a week and also visiting the big island for a week.

So, where would you suggest we stay? Thanks so much for your advice!

California
Level Contributor
9,637 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

I'd look for something in Hanalei.

California
Level Contributor
37,007 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

I'd look into Kilauea, Anini or Hanalei.

I'm not an east side fan so I would concentrate up north. Hanalei will be the most expensive.

Edited: 22 July 2013, 08:24
Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,423 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

I'd never stay in the east, just north or south.

What is "a little rain"? December is the rainiest month in Hanalei. The surf is also usually up in the North during December & January, snorkeling might not be possible, so weigh that in.

Poipu and Kalaheo have B&B's that I would look into as well as Hanalei. The East really does not have many beaches that are swimmable.

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g29218-c2-Kauai_Hawai…

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

I was desperate to see Kauai sooner rather than later.....so we vacationed there in January, for eight nights. We were unbelievably fortunate and had wonderful weather, but very high surf. It slightly rained three days and we just explored south and west. Not drenching rain at all.

Now that I have the insight gained from hindsight, I realize I spent a significant amount of time worrying about the weather, but didn't share my concerns. I knew I was taking a chance and the honest truth was..... I wanted sunshine. I rolled the dice. I did warn my husband that swimming would be unlikely and rain very possible. He didn't care and I always knew we would stay north......in Princeville.

With knowledge gained, and we like to enjoy the ocean, we will stay in Hanalei next April. I know you said possible rain wouldn't concern you, but I thought I would share my experience. And yes, Hanalei is our preference, but if the budget is more important......Kilaeau or Princeville would be just fine, too. Enjoy Kauai! Deb

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,884 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Both Princeville and Po'ipu area are designated "VDA" (Visitor Destination Areas).....so as far as "touristy"....well, you aren't going to find that area of the North Shore any less "touristy" than here in the Po'ipu area.

And in December? Well, it is the middle of winter, so your chances of getting heavy rain on the North Shore is excellent....and remember also, that when you stay on the "other side" of the Hanalei Bridge and heavy rains occur that get the river to a certain height, they close the bridge, so it is possible you could experience that as well.

Not to give you gloom and doom, but you are asking about rain, and the reason the North Shore is green and lush is the amount of rain they get.

Malama Pono,

Janet

California
Level Contributor
37,007 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

Heavy rain is usually later in the winter. I've been many times in Dec and yes it rained but I had just as much off and on rain this week. It is cooler in Dec and yes the surf roars. I love hearing it and watching it. I can still go in the water in Hanalei Bay and Anini.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,900 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

Don't mind "some rain"? You'll get that some rain in Poipu in December. Areas of the north shore may be more than you bargained for though. Most places on Kauai in December are going to get at least that some rain.

Agree with Koloagirl. Princeville and Hanalei scream touristy just as much as Poipu. But if you picked a spot like Anini or Kilauea you would get away from that and more than likely have better weather.

And not all of Poipu is the touristy you might be imagining. There's 4 resort hotels only with the majority of accommodations being condos , privarte homes and some cottages. Poipu isn't just the resort hotels. There are real neighborhoods of people who live there full-time and locally owned mom and pop stores too.

That said, if it's still too much for you in Poipu proper, you can get exactly what you're looking for just a little outside of Poipu. You'll get access via a short drive to the beaches there and have odds of better weather than the nroth shore. Look at places like Omao, Lawai, and Kalaheo just outside of Poipu, a 10-15 minute drive away. These are villages at slightly higher elevations with a decent selection of homes and cottages for rent. Most will be be that 'slightly rough around the edges' you speak of. These areas are higher in elevation looking down on Poipu and the coastline in many cases. A little more temperate , greener and more lush. You can get want you want on the south shore . You just have to know where to look. It's not all resorty and touristy. Look in VRBO for rentals under the Lawai, Omao and Kalaheo tabs. Mezzsop lives in Kalaheo and can probably give you more info.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

I live in a visitor destination area for five months out of the year. If you don't live here, you're a visitor. If you're a jerk........you're a tourist! LOL......I am happy to say we get more visitors than we do tourists, and IME Hawaii is the same way.

Vacation rentals tend to be in visitor areas, especially affordable ones. We aren't resort type folks either and that has to do with stretching our dollars so we can spend every vacation minute (four to five weeks a year) in Hawaii. We love comfy, affordable condos and they are plentiful on Kauai for a good price. Hang out on this forum and you will see what you are looking for or search vrbo.com. I have found all three of the places we have or are going to stay in just by paying attention to posts about "where to stay" on this forum. Deb

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,998 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

>>> We've had great experiences renting studios or guest houses from local owners on other trips, so I guess that's our bias. The resort-y thing isn't for us. <<<

That sounds exactly like us. You didn't give a nightly budget, so I'll throw this out. We've stayed here every year since 2006. Owners live up-stairs...best people you'd ever want to meet! PM me if you want more info/photos.

http://www.vrbo.com/131513#calendar

In Winter you are taking a chance of periods of heavy rain causing bridge closures. Heading North from Princeville there are 9 one-lane bridges. Hanalei Black Bridge is the first and is closed when the river rises due to rain. There's a couple others that can close also. Look at places in Kilauea or if you have a bigger budget, along Anini Beach.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 22 July 2013, 22:38
Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kauai in December -where to stay if we don't mind some rain!

I would take the advice on the bridges from 3chi's! That is one thing I would not want to roll the dice with and I would have loved to have reserved that unit, but it was already taken. Deb