We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

California
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

Husband and I are planning a day trip during our stay at Princeville. Get up early, take State highway 550 driving up to Waimea canyon, both Kalalau lookout and Puuo Kila lookout, afterward, take state highway 55 down. On the way back to Princeville, we would like to catch some wave, boogie boarding around South or East side beaches. After boogie boarding, have dinner either at Hukilau Lanai or the Beach House restaurant. note: We'll back to South Shore another day during our stay to hike on the Mahaulepu Heritage Coastal Trail, maybe try out another restaurant around there.

Which beach is best for boogie boarding? easy to find parking? bathroom to change and boogie board rental?

Brennecke's Beach

Kealia Beach

Poipu Beach

or any suggestions beaches for boogie boarding?

Mentioned in this post
Princeville
Princeville
Kauai, HI
Brennecke's Beach
Brennecke's Beach
127 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kalaheo, Hawaii
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

Brennecke's is best but it is very crowded this time of year. Shipwreck beach is good for the very experienced boogie boarders. But Brennecke's has rentals right next to beach.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
15,293 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

Brennecke's usually has the best boogie boarding this time of year. It can get crowded at times. I would park at either the parking lot at Poipu Beach Park (west of Brennecke's Beach Broiler) or along Nalu Road (across from Nihi Kai condos). My kids also like to boogie board in front of The Sheraton hotel and Kiahuna Plantation Condos. We can usually find parking in the Plantation Gardens parking lot or along the road.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

Brennecke's is usually the best on the south shore. Restrooms and showers are just a 5 minute walk away at Poipu Beach County Park.

Poipu Beach Park itself isn't the best for boogie boarding. But keep walking west along the waterfront there, past the Marriott resort and then past Koa Kea Resort and you'll be at the Sheraton/Kiahuna Beach. Great boogie boarding at the west end right by the Sheraton. So you can park at the Poipu Beach Park lot and walk aways to get there OR you can park right by the Sheraton. Look for the smaller paved lot oceanfront on the west end of the Sheraton property or the gravel lot across and down a little from the Sheraton front desk check-in. There is a public restroom and showers about halfway up the beach.

Another option is Kalapaki Beach in front of the Lihue Marriott. Showers, restrooms and beach rentals of boogie boards, surfboards, stand up paddleboards at a stand across from the beach and paved walkway (near Duke's restaurant).

Then don't forget Kealia Beach just north of Kapaa. Showers and restrooms and lifeguarded. Stick with the north end of the beach to be safer.

Mentioned in this post
Kiahuna Beach
Kiahuna Beach
5 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kapaa
Kapaa
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

Thank you all! Brennecke beach is adding to my plan.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,997 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

Aloha from Kaua'i!

You don't say when you are coming, or if you are already here.....??

I live in the Po'ipu Beach area and was just at Brennecke's Beach about an hour and a half ago....it was lovely, there weren't too many people and the surf was great....not too big for enjoying and just about perfect!

Check ocean conditions daily whenever you are coming and planning on going into the ocean....here is a good link to check daily:

http://www.kauaiexplorer.com/ocean_report/

Malama Pono,

Janet

Mentioned in this post
Brennecke's Beach
Brennecke's Beach
127 Reviews
Kauai, HI
California
Level Contributor
126 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

Janet- HB and I will be in Kauai the first week of September staying in the North Shore. Thanks for the kauaiexplorer link. We are planning to do couple hours boogie boarding at Brennecke's Beach after exploring Waimea Canyon. Then planning to head to the Hyatt to see the Torch lighting. Not sure if it is doable to do all that in the one day trip. We also plan a half day to the Mahaulepu Heritage Coastal Trail and have dinner at the Beach house restaurant in another day in the South Shore. We did the boogie boarding at Waikiki in Oahu a long time ago and would like to experience it in Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Brennecke's Beach
Brennecke's Beach
127 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
California
Level Contributor
39,638 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

My vote is Kealia Beach. Life guarded, you don't need to detour to Poipu and its a beautiful spot.

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
Midwest
Level Contributor
2,827 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

My 2 cents...shipwreck beach for boogie boarding

9. Re: Boogie boarding on the way back from Waimea Canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:17