We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking

Tucson
7 posts
Save Topic
Kayaking

We will be staying in Poipu. We have been coming in September for the past 4 years and love it (of course)! We spend most of our time hiking but this year would like to try kayaking. My husband is very experienced but has a bad shoulder. I have never been in a kayak. I think we would like to do a couple guided tours. The info that I found was somewhat old. Is it for all skill levels? I would like to try a couple different areas. Thanks

Kayak Wailua
Kayaking & Canoeing
Princeville Ranch
Kayaking & Canoeing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Alii Kayaks
Kayaking & Canoeing
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking

We really liked the guided kayak trip we took up the Wailua River (2 miles one way) and hike (1 mile one way) through the forest to Secret Falls:

http://wailuariverguides.com/

Chicago
Level Contributor
100 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kayaking

My wife and I kayaked the Wailua last year and are novice ourselves (2nd time). We did a solo rental not a group though. Be aware that you are against current going upriver and fight wind heading back. It was a workout for us coming back downriver as it turned windy in the afternoon. I think this is a common occurrence? So maybe earlier in day is easier. This year we are heading to Hanalei River, can't wait.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking

The first time my wife and I ever kayaked was on the Wailua River. We were able to do it on our own with just a few basic instructions from the person at the place where we rented the kayaks. So especially if your husband has some experience, I'm not sure a guided tour is necessary. The one exception would be if you wanted to do the north shore tour that goes to Hideaways Beach since you would be out in the open seas.

In September, I'd try to make it to the north shore. The Hanalei River is very easy to kayak - you could easily do that on your own and there are a number of vendors in Hanalei where you can rent kayaks. We also enjoyed kayaking on the Kalihiwai River, but that requires transporting your kayak to the entry point from Hanalei.

My main concern is that if your husband has a shoulder issue is this really going to be something he can enjoy?

Edited: 23 July 2013, 19:33
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
72 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking

We kayaked the Wailua River last week and agree with ChicagoGreg's comments about the river current and wind. Going back was strenuous at times. We left about 11am and headed back around 230, My husband has a slight rotator cluff tear in his right shoulder. He did not have pain during or after our trip :)

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking

My husband is an experienced whitewater rafter and kayaker - thank heavens, because I am useless in a kayak (totally uncoordinated with zero sense of rhythm). We did the Secret Fall trip on our own, leaving around 830 a.m. and he worked pretty hard to get us back in the afternoon fighting the current... =]

I suggest looking into a guided tour since the guide can help you out if your husband's shoulder starts hurting.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking

Haha, glad we weren't the only ones who had to work hard fighting the current on the way back from Secret Falls...I thought we would never make it, but thank heavens my Husband is a lot stronger than I am! I liked the guided tour because they told us a bit about the history of the area and the different plants and vegetation in the area, and it was one of the only guided tours we did so it was fun to chat with the guide and the others in the group were really nice, but I guess if you are an experienced kayaker and weren't as interested in the history/ interesting facts about the area, you would be fine to go on your own...it seems lots of people go on their own and make out fine. The tour I went with also included lunch (sandwiches, pineapple, chips, cookies) at the waterfall, which was a nice treat. We were some of the slower kayakers in the group, and the more experienced kayakers in the group just went ahead and waited for us when they got to the stopping point, so you could still set your own pace if you go on a guided tour. Then we all did the hike, which is really more like a "nature walk" together.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kayaking

You stated that hubby has a bad shoulder.....how bad is it? If he can still paddle without pain, then I have some ideas that might make life fairly easy.

You are staying in poipu. Just a ways down poipu road is OUTFITTERS.....you will see a yellow submarine sitting out next the road. Now it is more like a small yellow submerseable to advertise the dive shop next door to Outfitters. I

Outfitters has a guided tour of the wailua....but instead of driving up there, you just drive two minutes or so to Outfitters offices on the makai side of poipu road a bit past the traffic circle headed to koloa town. It is easy stuff. You get to ride in air conditioned comfort in a van, and the van tows the kayaks. Reservations are all set, all you have to do is show up.

Also, Outfitters has another kayak base near the Huleia River, near Nawiliwili Harbor in Lihue area. I believe you meet at that office, about 20 minutes from poipu, They issue you paddles and they then give you instruction before your guided kayak up the river past menehune fish pond to the eddy out..

What you might like, this is also a hike on private land. Once you have had lunch at the small waterfall, and return, the kayaks are no longer at the eddy out.....nope, they have towed them on the river back to the put in......but they have a motorized war canoe to take you back down river into the wind. You just kick back and enjoy, narry a bit of paddling on the way home.

Those two suggestions will keep life simple, no long drives, both have hikes, the wialua paddle and hike to secret falls, and the huleia river, to hike to a different style water fall, with different scenery.

Have fun.

Tucson
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kayaking

Thanks for all the great info! My husbands shoulder is pretty bad, need a replacement. He owned a rafting company and guided at times so I think he is pretty certain the motion needed to paddle will be doable. A good workout is always good. We would like to do several different rivers. The trip in Hanalei that goes out in the ocean to the beach sounds wonderful, if not a bit scary. The ocean kayaking seem intimidating, I guess it's good to challenge yourself every once in awhile. We will definitely do the Wailua River.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,416 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kayaking

I would start with the Hanalei river so he gets "reminded" of the motion - muscle memory is an amazing thing! Then if he realizes it's not a doable as he thought you won't be quite so far out in the middle of nowhere as if you were on the Wailua.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,440 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kayaking

In September, ocean conditions should still be pretty calm on the north shore so the trip to Hideaways shouldn't be that scary. The benefit of going on a guided tour there is that they won't go out if ocean conditions are unsafe.

I agree with blueflamingo - the Hanalei River will be much easier than the Wailua - less winds and the current is much weaker.