We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

Hi--We have been looking forward to a short get away without kids. We will be arriving early Wed. and leave Monday afternoon. We have been watching the weather carefully and as of yesterday it looked like Wed. would be the last rainy day, but now my phone weather app says rain every day through Monday. We were looking forward to hiking and doing a helicopter tour as well as some relaxing pool days, but now we are thinking of canceling and trying to come another time. Any advice from there?

Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours
Safari Helicopters
Cultural Tours, Helicopter Tours, Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Air Tours
California
Level Contributor
6,818 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

It rain's everyday on Kauai, don't read to much into the weather app. Your airline wouldn't be flying if the weather was still that poor. This storm is already passing the state so don't worry.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,961 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Absolutely no reason for you not to come......Flossie passed by us with nary a rainstorm and all that is left today is kind of grey weather with muggy conditions, and this is supposed to pass starting tomorrow.

Can't think of any conceivable reason to cancel.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Vacaville...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

Go and enjoy! I am sure the weather will be great now that the storm has passed. We did that same length of stay without the kids and had a great time. Now we are planning our next trip with the kids.

California
Level Contributor
38,436 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

It was pretty much a non event. Rain is normal on the island. Just keep an eye out for larger than normal surf due to the wind.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
17,616 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

Get packing and hop on that plane! The extended weather forecast you're seeing is the typical intermittent showers that Kauai has in places almost daily. The typical weather forecasters call it as "rain" if it rains anywhere, at any time, for any length of time, on the island. When it comes to the islands forget your phone weather app.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

I would trade places with you in a heartbeat.

Enjoy your vacation.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

Thank you all! Will start packing! :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

Flossie was a failure, flake, and a flop, at least here in Lihue, on Kauai Island. The storm passed over last night with barely a whimper. No torrents ofo rain, no killer winds, no nothing exccept mugginess.

Now, we do know that the airmass is unstable, and we might get some intermittant passing rain coming up from the south, I can see that on the dopler radar. So we still have to pay attention to all surf warnings, and be aware that there could still be some rain.

11:00 am on tuesday morning: Winds SSE at 14, and clouds are approaching from the south, temp is in the 80's, and humid. Pay attention to any surf and strong current warnings.

But, do not let the exagerating drama kings and queens of weather news let you blow your vacation by staying in oregon.

Yesterday, many here watched the local TV stations who were at the Oahu severe weather office, and it was pointed out that our rain fall would only be about one to two inches. This was about 9 am.

Just before 6 pm yesterday....the weather channel was still reporting that Kauai would have 6 to 12 inches of rain last night . I could just imagine the visitors turning on the TV and seeing that dangerous tropical storm warning . Shortly after 6 pm, they pulled that.

for hours, we knew that flossie was no longer organized and was disipating and falling apart, the weather channel had no clue.

at 11:00 pm on tuesday, the sun is out, people are in shorts and tank tops, and as soon as Erica gets back from the gym, we will be going for our hike around kauai lagoons. No rivers to ford, or be washed down stream, much of it is concrete, and we can easily pass on the dirt trail on the backside, and walk on pavement.

i can see visitors here in Banyan Harbor towing ice chests to their car and heading off to enjoy their day.

Will we get rained on , maybe, maybe not , but by the time you get here, I would say thursday the trades will return, and we will be back no normal weather. Wednesday, we should be improving for your arrival.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 22:33
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
78 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

I just wanted to thank you all! We just got got home last night and had a wonderful time! So glad we went. :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,866 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we still come to Kauai tomorrow?

Good! Weather reports here always include rain...and it usually does fall - somewhere, some time! I'm glad you're glad.....

Come back soon! Aloha!