We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

Accommodations – Moloa’a Bay House Rental

This is copied from my trip report.

(Hale Moe U`hane or Moloa’a Pole House – kauaibeachhouserental.com)

We rented the most charming house on Moloa’a bay. It was 2 bdms, 1 bath. All the amenities you could imagine plus more. Although there was not direct beach access but it was OCEAN FRONT (had to walk 4 houses to public beach path), the view from the lanai was a close as you could come to ocean/beach. The tradewinds were great to keep house cool (no a/c). On a scale of 1 – 10, we rate a 9.0. You awake each morning to sunrise, ocean crashing onto beach, early morning walks, and peace. If you can, bring or buy fishing gear to shore fish. One afternoon a large PARROT FISH was washed ashore. Local family came and took it home to eat.

Yes, it rained most mornings at the bay, but cleared by 9am. But, if you left area to go explore island, the bay weather was not indicative of the rest of the Island.

This is a great place for a family (1Q and 2Twin beds) or honeymoon couple.

This is a crescent shaped bay with swimming (right side of bay only), snorkeling, shore fishing, great beaches to shelling and walking on.

There are approx. 10 houses that have direct beach access. The house we rented and 2 more are ocean front but not beach access. All other houses are on otherside of Moloa'a road. Some have oceanviews, but not as close as the ones on the oceanside of Moloa'a Bay.

From what I can tell, most of the houses on the beach are vacation rentals with very few being occupied by year round families.

We would definately be back to this bay and house.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

We have rented one of the other places on the bay for our honeymoon Sept. 26 - Oct. 3 and will post our review. It's called Moloa'a Beach house.

illinois
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

mattysamme:

From what i hear and see, the moloaa beach house is fabulous. One of the bay residents said that it was new, in great shape and well appointed. Also, you can not get any closer to the beach.

Have a great time! You will love this area.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

The place was fabulous, and all of the previous posts about this secluded little bay were accurate. We had great weather for the whole trip -- even the first day when we were walking on the beach and got caught in a torrential downpour because it was hilarious! I loved staying in Moloa'a bay because it's pretty central and allowed us to take advantage of both the Princeville area and get to the south shore within 30 minutes.

I will say this about the Moloa'a beach house -- the owner Mr. Mansat was a pain. He was the one negative on our honeymoon. He showed up without notice under the apparent claim to "cleaning" the place, and he bitched at us about not leaving the windows open. We would have appreciated more privacy, and he lied to us about having rented the other unit in the house (cannot understand why -- it made no difference to us). He also discouraged us from cooking -- which is basically why we rented his house and didn't stay in a hotel in the first place! We took photos of the whole place the day we got there and the day we left just to have enough evidence in case he claimed we damaged it. Although he sent us back the full security deposit, the fact that we even had to THINK about this was disturbing.

Fortunately, he told us he is selling the place, so perhaps this wonderful little unit can be rented in the near future from a better landlord.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

OH MY GOSH WE FELT THE SAME WAY ABOUT MR. MANSAT. He totally ruined our first 24 hours there. Nothing like traveling for 20 hours, arriving six hours past your usual bedtime and then be "welcomed" with a laundry list of Don't Dos in this place that's supposed to serve as a home away from home, a love nest, a sanctuary.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

Oh gosh...the "do and don't" list is the product of an owner who has property trashed on so many occasions he/she is driven to such extremes and apparent rigidity. I am not an owner but have assisted to help an owner in clean ups housekeeping could not deal with. Owners never know what kind of folks may make it "home."

Weird things happen, some of which are real head scratchers. They can be expensive and time consuming repairs...especially unsettling when the next guests are due in a day or two...maybe the same day in high season. For example, you run into plastics melted down on burners or microwave, burned skillets and pans, blackened ceiling from a grease fire, coffee pot flow overs, knife gouges in marble countertops when clean glass cutting boards exist, blender motor burned out, jam, jelly, chocolate sauce, wine and coffee stains on furniture and carpets, melted wax in carpets and on tables, cracked, chipped or etched glass coffee table tops, cigarette holes in carpet, furniture, sheets and bedspreads, towel racks pulled out of walls, hair dye stain on towels sinks filled with sand and red dirt, broken out screens and broken off handles, and then missing TV remote, DVDs, CDs, games, UKG and other guides, maps, etc.

I agree it is a real downer to begin a vacation in such a way. What to do?

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
468 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

I hear you. I understand where an owner is coming from, but the manner in which he presented his concerns was condescending and off-putting, particularly given the price tag of the rental. Perhaps if he had begun by presenting some sort of "aloha spirit" I had heard so much about, and then launched into the list it would have been more palatable. You know, just a spoonful of sugar. A lei, a thank you, a welcome, something kind. He made us so paranoid about the windows being open and rain coming in that we boiled every night in a tightly sealed hot house. It was not pleasant. And his list was extreme. But hey, we were in Kauai and the day times away from the house made up for his attitude.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

dabsia...agree that training in people skills, an Aloha spirit and a spoonful of sugar are the way to go and really could benefit the owner/manager when folks yearn to return to that otherwise pleasant vacation rental.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
9 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

Our honeymoon was fabulous, so I do not mean to give the impression that the celebration of our marriage was in any way hampered by this character. It also gave us an instance to joke about throughout the trip, and we do love to laugh.

In posting the previous review of the absolutely wonderful house, I acknowledge Owners do take a risk and that is certainly expected and acceptable to address those concerns, but those were adequately addressed in the long contract, the large ($25% additional) security deposit and "welcome" manual on the dining table. The entry-without-warning is a tactic even slumlords do not use.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

We stayed at Hale Moe U`hane or Moloa’a Pole House on Moloa'a Bay as well and had a fantastic time. I recommend it to anyone visiting the northern part of the island that wants a peaceful stay. The owners are great too. So easy to book with and really sweet.

http://www.kauaibeachhouserental.com is the website for booking.

California
Level Contributor
37,034 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Moloa'a Bay Accomodation - Review of

Yikes! OLD thread brought back....

Too bad this house will probably be an illegal rental soon. If anyone is interested in renting in this non VDA area make sure the proper permits are supplied to you.