We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATV tours- what makes this fun?

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
ATV tours- what makes this fun?

just curious about what makes this something so many people enjoy- and I am seriously asking the question, not being facetious. I am always open to doing new and different things but am not sure what the draw is here. Are you going places that you can't see any other way? Is it a joy ride? (we have fun jeep tours here in Sedona that are great for both reasons for ex) - just thought I'd get input before striking it off the "possibilities" list

California
Level Contributor
37,205 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATV tours- what makes this fun?

I've done that jeep tour in Sedona. The "pink jeep tour" I think its called. It was a blast to go almost straight up those mountains. I loved it. The ATV's are different than that.

I asked my kids why they love this excursion so much and they said its the feeling of getting in the red dirt, getting down and dirty in the mud and the experience of being in the cane fields. I'm sure its not for everyone and its pretty expensive, but my family loved it for all those reasons.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: ATV tours- what makes this fun?

We liked the ATV tour for several reasons. It's fun to ride the ATVs; and the Kipu Ranch property the tour takes place on is beautiful. Kipu Ranch has played host to many major motion picture projects. Also the Kipu Kai valley overlook/beach is remote, and can generally only be viewed from the tour. I would say that a helicopter tour, or NaPali Coast boat tour would rate better that the ATV tour. But, if you have the time/money, I wouldn't rule it out. Here's a link to a video we made of our Kipu Ranch ATV tour, in case a visual of the activity would help you to make a decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKTnyGki2g

Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
195 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATV tours- what makes this fun?

Our family of four (including 2 teen sons) took a NaPali Coast boat tour, SUP'd Hanalei Bay, and took a self guided kayak tour of the Wailua River - including cliff jumping, but our hands down favorite excursion this trip has been the ATV tour at Kipu Ranch.

My husband and I probably enjoyed it because our SONS enjoyed it so much. We took 2 T-Rex ATVs with each son driving one. Watching their enjoyment as we surged through the rocky, muddy terrain was great fun. They also commented that - beyond the "thrill ride" part - they enjoyed the scenery. Seeing and learning about spots were Jurassic Park and Raiders of the Lost Arc (rope swing into the river) were filmed were interesting to them. Our tour guides were FABulous! Very passionate about the ranch, and full of sincere enthusiasm that rubbed off on us all.

It's definitely not something everyone would enjoy. I know that I wouldn't have wanted to drive a vehicle. With recent heavy downpours, the terrain was especially muddy. Slipping and sliding around was quite dangerous. Of course, this just added to the fun and adventure for our sons....which (again) made this activity super memorable for us all.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,706 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATV tours- what makes this fun?

We took the ATV tour with Kipu Tours last summer with our 2 boys (ages 10 and 13 at the time). My husband drove and the rest of us just enjoyed the ride. It was not muddy at all last summer. I picked this tour since we wanted to see the Kipu Ranch which is all private property. The kids loved the "thrill" of the ride, the rope swing into the river and swimming under the water fall at the end of the tour. It was a lot of fun for everyone! We'll probably do this tour again when the kids are old enough to drive themselves.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
823 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATV tours- what makes this fun?

We did the Kipu ranch tour and loved it for both the thrill and for the scenery. We were not disappointed at all. This is a big property that you cover on the tour. They have some great views up on their hill top. Some tours more slower than others and we were lucky that ours moved at a fast clip. If you get stuck with people that do not feel that comfortable driving it could be a long, slow tour but you will still have some awesome scenery. The lead guy told us we had a good group of riders that enable them to let us go a bit faster than a lot of the tours.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATV tours- what makes this fun?

thanks everyone- that's just the info I was looking for. I think we're going to skip this one and try the SUP up the river instead.

Tulare, California
Level Contributor
384 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ATV tours- what makes this fun?

Our family did the Kipu Ranch waterfall tour last month and it was without a doubt the best tour we have ever done. Amazing scenery.

8. Re: ATV tours- what makes this fun?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2014, 05:17