We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

Lake Stevens, WA
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

I like to be prepared and know where the nearest clinic is located. Our last visit to Maui required a visit due to an ear infection. Being in the water constantly seems to get one kids ears every visit to the islands.

We are staying in Poipu. Is there an urgent care or walk in clinic? Or is the ER our only option. I like to have all the necessary information before we leave and hope I do not have to look at it again.

Thank you!

California
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

Here's a thread that should be helpful. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k51550…

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Yes, as you can see from the thread referenced, there is a walk in clinic right in Old Koloa town...my G.P., Dr. Michael Murray, is the Doctor there and you can go from 8:30am to 11am.....then from 1:00 to 3:30pm for walk in visits.

Be prepared though, he has regular patients as well as his many walk ins and I always bring a book (even with an appt. I usually have to wait about an hour) to read while I wait.

Excellent Doctor, both my husband, myself and when my Mom was alive, have him as our G.P.

I had "swimmers ears" about a month ago in fact, and he prescribed something quickly for me....there is a pharmacy right across the street from his clinic.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Lake Stevens, WA
Level Contributor
123 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

Thank you for the information. I wanted to be sure I had the most recent up to date information.

Weatherford, Texas...
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

Many years ago I would get swimmers ear after prolonged scuba diving (two or three dives a day for 5 days). I finally started going to my GP at home before my vacation and have my ears cleaned of all wax. Since then I never had another problem.

alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
67 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

We have used the walk-in clinic in Koloa on a couple of occasions (on Janet's recommendation) for our children who are also prone to ear infections. Both times we had a short wait and Dr. Murray was excellent! We have also had to go to Wilcox hospital when on Kauai and were very impressed with the doctors and hospital staff there.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
661 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

Paul, that's a good idea. I've also seen special ear plugs in the swimming section of our sporting goods store.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,349 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

I've also used Dr. Murray in Koloa and was pleased. Be aware though that pharmacy located across the street doesn't accept insurance for payment. They require you to pay them then you request reimbursement from your insurer yourself. At least this is what I encountered on two occasions.

Might not matter to you but I find it more convenient to drive to the pharmacy at Longs Drugs back in Kukuiula Grove.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

And I just wanted to add, we had to use Wilcox ER a couple of years ago...I only hope our local ER is as good, caring and thorough as they were! We were truly impressed and thank God...hubby's chest pain was only really bad indigestion rather than the heart attack he originally thought.

3Chihuahuas

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,864 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just a correction for others here: "Long's Drugs at Kukuiula Grove"

This would be the Long's at Kukui Grove Center in Lihu'e.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Edited: 08 August 2013, 02:44
California
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Urgent Care or Walk In Clinic?

And one more option--The clinic in Koloa was closed--not an emergency, but I decided I needed an opinion, so we went to the walk-in in Waimea, since I much prefer that drive to the one to Lihue. My experience there was excellent!