We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Garden tour?

Escondido...
Level Contributor
372 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Best Garden tour?

Can you recommend the best garden tour in Kauai. I would like to visit one of them.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Garden tour?

What are you most interested in? They're all different. I love Limahuli for the fascinating booklet explaining the history of the "canoe" plants that the Polynesians brought with them to the islands. McBryde has a 3 mile walking loop covering a variety of mini climates and plantings - I've never seen so many exotic flowers.

I haven't done the Allerton tour because it seems pricey (and now we have little kids, who aren't allowed). We're visiting Na Aina Kai in September for the Under the Rainbow children's garden/fountain and I'm really looking forward to it.

We will also stop by the botanic gardens behind the new mini golf course http://kauaiminigolf.com/botanical-gardens/ as a quick diversion.

"Best" is subjective and you'll get lots of opinions...

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,300 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Garden tour?

Yep, lots of opinions, but I too love Limahuli, not only the "canoe" plants but the endemic plants too. There are 700 year old lava rock terraced kalo (taro) gardens. The views are beyond gorgeous as you're right at Mt. Makana (Bali Hai) and looking out to the ocean.

3Chihauhuas

California
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Garden tour?

Our favorite is the Allerton. We especially like the new sunset tour. www.ntbg.org/gardens/allerton-sunset-tour.php

If you're on the North Shore, I'd also recommend the self-guided tour at Limahuli--two very different experiences.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,656 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Garden tour?

Allerton or Lumahuli.

I actually liked the guided tour at Lumahuli. You can take all the time you want on the grounds and enjoying the view after the tour PLUS you get great info and stories that just aren't in the book. A win-win choice either way.

Overall, Allerton is our favorite. It is a fascinating place, filled with ancient and modern history and incredible beauty.

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
811 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Garden tour?

I am going to say Allerton, but its close. Having been to all 3 of the NTBG ones on Kauai I am looking forward to visiting the Princeville Botanical Garden next spring as well as a return for the sunset tour at Allerton.

On a side note can anybody tell me how the NTBG garden on Maui compares to any of the ones on Kauai?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Garden tour?

I've only done Allerton, but WOW! What an amazing place.

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
70 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Garden tour?

We did Allerton on Saturday. I thought the kids would be bored but they really liked it. They are 14 and 17. It was very beautiful and informative. One of our highlights. The guide was extremely knowledgable which made it that much better.

Cedarville, Ohio
Level Contributor
586 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Garden tour?

We liked Allerton and Limahuli. Limahuli is more self guided and to us that is an advantage. But the narration for Allerton is great. The bus ride to Allerton is fun!!!!!!

Lihue, Hawaii
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Garden tour?

If you're looking for something really unique (and free!), Kauai has an excellent food forest project going on in Kilauea that hosts Saturday workdays where you can learn about tropical permaculture and even enjoy a potluck lunch of island foods. It's a great way to enjoy Kauai and learn while giving back, and having only been in action for 7 months now, it's incredibly impressive how much yield of food they get from it, as well as how quickly it's grown!

For more info:

https:/…kauaifoodforest

www.malamakauai.org/aboutFoodForest.php

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Garden tour?

Limahuli is nice and I'd take the guided the tour

Edited: 09 August 2013, 20:54