We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

I know it's a long shot, but I figured I'd give it a try.

My wife and I visited Kauai 20 years or so ago. On that trip, we visited a north-shore beach that, for some reason, I'd like to find again. As I recall, there was a stream that entered the beach on the left side, and a large tree with a rope that enabled you to swing out and drop off into the brackish water where the stream entered the beach. It wasn't very populated on a weekday in late August or early September. And I remember kayaking on that trip, though I can't be sure of the stream was the one we kayaked in or not.

And, though I'm absolutely sure this won't provide any help, I'll throw it in anyway: There was a dog there whose sole mission in life appeared to be fetching a stick thrown on the beach or in the water. I swear, his eyes never left the stick; he didn't respond to any petting, calls, or anything, only the stick.

Anyway, back to the question. Looking at the map, I'm thinking my choices might be narrowed to Kalihiwai, Hanalei, Wainiha, and maybe Ha'ena bays.

Does any of this ring a bell with anyone?

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

Was this past Anaohola? Or past Hanalei? I can think of two beaches that meet your description. Those are Kalihiwai, or Wainiha. There is also a stretch of beach with a river just east of Wainiha before the bridge. You can Google Maps street view to check these areas out from the road.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 19:29
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

It was definitely past Anahola. I don't know if it was past Hanalei. The best I can do is narrow it down to one of the four places I mentioned earlier.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

My guess is Kalihiwai or Kahili (Rock Quarry). Both fit that description and both have had a rope swing from a tree where you drop into the stream. Google some images.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

It sounds like Kalihiwai Beach to me, although it didn't look like you'd kayak in the stream. It could also be Hanalei Bay. There's a river that feeds into the ocean at the opposite end from the pier. You can kayak on it, and I'm sure there have been rope swings over the years. Are you coming back to visit?

La Verne, California
Level Contributor
552 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

We were at Kalihiwai last year and we saw people kayaking there, so made me think of that beach. I have a couple pics I can send you to see if they ring a bell.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

You guys are good. Friendly, too. I didn't even think about trying Google images. I found a picture at a suite called Hawaiigaga.com that maybe kinda sorta might ring a bell. Hanalei appears to be too big, and the topography doesn't quite match my feeble memories.

Yes, we're returning, next week, with a 16-year-old son in tow. We're staying at the Sheraton (free on Starwood points, the only way we could afford the trip). I've spent most of the day drawing up a list of things to do and trying to find places to eat.

Foodwise, we're pretty simple and frugal. We've been to Maui three times, and our most memorable meal there was at Maui Mixed Plate in Lahaina. We may splurge one night, as the 20th is our 30th anniversary.

My son wants to do a helicopter tour. He and my wife want to go horseback riding (meh) and ziplining. I've got my eye on the "trike" -- powered hang-gliding. And, of course, Waimea Canyon and the Kalalau Trail are on everyone's list.

Friday night in Hanapepe sounds like an interesting alternative to ESPN in the hotel room, and I'm thinking that Doug and Sandy might be fun, too, as well as an additional reason to go beyond Poipu for dinner.

Any helpful hits would be appreciated, here (should I start another thread?) or by e-mail at diffus@sbcglobal.net.

Edited: 08 August 2013, 21:13
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
3,223 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

Pretty sure it's Kalihiwai from what you describe. We have kayaked up the river there before and your description sounds just like that beach.

As far as your other questions, you would be better off to start another thread. And I'd remove that post since it is not a good idea to publish your email address on the forum.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

Too late. Apparently, only one edit is allowed, and I used it to fix a typo. Sorry if I broke a rule.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

No rule broken, but you may get spammed. Report Inappropriate Content - in the drop-down - choose Remove My Post

Yes, start a new post.

3Chihuahuas

Edited: 08 August 2013, 21:30
10. Re: Long shot:Looking for north-shore beach visited 20 years ago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 August 2013, 23:35