We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanalei Cottage

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hanalei Cottage

Has anyone stayed here:

http://www.vrbo.com/79639

It says "direct beach access" and there is a photo of the ocean, but I can't tell if that view is actually from the cottage. I have emailed the owner but wondered if anyone has stayed there or knows exactly where it is.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,392 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanalei Cottage

Haven't stayed, but one of the reviews said makai (ocean side) of Weke Rd which is where the cottage would be. Weke Rd is the only road that runs parallel to the bay with homes along it. The cottage does not list an ocean view though, it says mountain views - I'm guessing there is more than one home on the property and this is in the front. You might ask.

3Chihuahuas

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanalei Cottage

Yes, that's my guess, that the cottage is behind another house so it has direct access but not direct view. I did email the owner but just thought someone here might have stayed there.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanalei Cottage

It looks like it's the back cottage located at 5142 Weke Road. at the corner of Weke Road and Aku Road. It's called Hanalei Ohana. There is a larger house on the front of the property that is beach front that is in front of the cottage itself. I will assume you can access the beach from there since they are on the same lot. You can check it out on Google Maps. It does not look like you can see the ocean from the back cottage.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
732 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanalei Cottage

My only hesitation would be location. I much prefer the other, quieter end of Weke Road.

California
Level Contributor
35,821 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanalei Cottage

If its on Weke Road it is probably awesome and I would have no hesitation if you are trying to save some money and be close to the bay. Any place on Weke will be busy during the summer. Just make sure its a legal rental.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanalei Cottage

<<Just make sure its a legal rental>>

It is. The TVNC # is listed on their sign in front and also on the TVR log (that's how I found out the exact address). It is close to where Weke Road and Aku Road meet which is used a lot by folks driving out to the pavilion or the pier.

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hanalei Cottage

Yes, I heard back from the owner and it is at 5142 Weke Rd. Here is what she says:

"My address is 5142 Weke Rd. very close to Aku and Weke. My lot is one acre oceanfront butween the ocean and Weke Rd. There is only a mountain view from the cottage, not an ocean view. There are 2 structures on my one acre. I live in a house facing the ocean."

Thank you.

Bob

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,392 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hanalei Cottage

So are you going to take it? I'll bet it's really nice and being able to just walk out to the bay would be wonderful!

3Chihuahuas

Syracuse, NY
Level Contributor
83 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hanalei Cottage

Still dithering between that and the oceanview cottages a little further down the road (Old Style and Downstairs). I get paralyzed with choices, not a great trait.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hanalei Cottage

Analysis paralysis is a deadly disorder, from which I too suffer - the up side here is that both choices are excellent. So no choice is bad! Good luck!