We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Coco Palms

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,897 posts
Save Topic
Update on Coco Palms

Aloha,

Sounds like it might happen soon.

kitv.com/news/…index.html

kapaa
2 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Update on Coco Palms

I stumbled upon these threads and reading some of them brings tears. My father and uncle John are brothers.

So nice to read the great memories people shared of my uncle and his times at Coco Palms. uncle John gave me a second chance to be with my dad as I lost my dad 20 years ago. Being at my uncles side when he passed was such an intimate time for me and I cherished every moment. Mahalo to all near and far.

Mahalo Ke Akua

V

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
48,074 posts
1,547 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Update on Coco Palms

Aloha,

While I never had the pleasure to meet with you uncle, this thread has been a tribute to him - I am sorry for the loss, and for our never having met him.

All the best,

Hunt

California
Level Contributor
40,571 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Update on Coco Palms

bizjournals.com/pacific/…

44. Re: Update on Coco Palms

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 June 2014, 18:59
Lihue, Hawaii
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
45. Re: Update on Coco Palms

Coco Palms was not in South Pacific. The cast and crew of the film did stay at Coco Palms during filming.

Lihue, Hawaii
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
46. Re: Update on Coco Palms

Chef Josselin will be operating the Seashell Restaurant, owned by Coco Palms and located on the beach across the street.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,096 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Update on Coco Palms

Where the heck are they going to have parking for the Seashell?

California
Level Contributor
40,571 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Update on Coco Palms

Having chef Josselin will be awesome. I won't have to go so far for a good meal.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,002 posts
1 review
Save Reply
49. Re: Update on Coco Palms

I'm not at all enamored by the Hyatt deal. It is basically a sellout to a big chain, and the local charm will be gone. They're buying the name and the reputation, and then they'll run (ruin) it like any other tropical hotel. Last thing we need in Wailua is a branded hotel that fills the area with traffic and sucks out all the profits. I was really hoping for a locally run boutique hotel (essentially what the old Coco Palms was), it's the only thing that makes sense there.

Edited: 18 May 2014, 09:30
Mentioned in this post
Wailua
Wailua
Kauai, HI
Lihue, Hawaii
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
50. Re: Update on Coco Palms

Hyatt isn't buying anything, they are the management company. Coco Palms will be operated as closely as possible to the way it was. Sadly, Grace isn't here any longer but the same traditions and values will still exist at the Coco Palms. The hotel will still be locally owned.