We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hanama'ulu Beach Park.....closure from 10pm to 6am.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Hanama'ulu Beach Park.....closure from 10pm to 6am.

Aloha from Kaua'i!

As many folks here know, Hanama'ulu Beach Park has a bit of a reputation. So it appears that the County is taking steps to try to remedy some of this:

HANAMĀ‘ULU – Due to excessive vandalism and complaints about illegal activity at Hanamā‘ulu Beach Park, the facility will be closed to the public from 10:00 pm – 6:00 a.m. daily beginning Monday, August 19.

“We’ve been experiencing chronic issues in this park, and community members, unfortunately, no longer feel safe there at night,” stated Director of Parks and Recreation, Lenny Rapozo. “So for the time being we’ll be closing a newly installed gate at 10 p.m. and will actively enforce any violations.”

A community workday that was held in June to clean and refurbish the park and its facilities was quickly marred by vandalism within 48 hours of the effort. Additionally, the old pavilion structure, which is slated to be demolished pending the issuance of required permits, has become a magnet for vagrants and alleged criminal activity.

“Our goal is to return this beautiful park back to the community – clean and crime-free,” stated Mayor Bernard P. Carvalho, Jr. “However, at the present time, the most prudent action is to close the facility overnight so that we can work with the community to bring it back to that point.”

The Mayor added that plans for the closure have been developed in consultation with leaders of the Hanamā‘ulu Community Association (HCA), and will be discussed with members of HCA prior to the closure taking effect.

Under Section 19-1.5.b. of the Kaua‘i County Code, the Director of Parks and Recreation has the authority to close any section or part of any park facility as he “shall find reasonably necessary for the health, safety or welfare of the public.”

“We want to send a big mahalo to the Hanamā‘ulu community for being so proactive in protecting their beloved beach park,” stated Rapozo. “And also to the Kaua‘i Police Department for their assistance in preparing for and enforcing the overnight closure.”

Day use of the park and use of the pavilion from 6:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. will still be allowed. Camping at the park will be suspended while the overnight closure is in effect. Questions can be directed to the Department of Parks and Recreation at (808) 241-4456.

Malama Pono,

Janet

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,668 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hanama'ulu Beach Park.....closure from 10pm to 6am.

Sad to say, it's the only place on Kaua‘i where we felt truly uncomfortable and definitely unwelcome and that was just in the parking lot, we didn't even get out of the car.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hanama'ulu Beach Park.....closure from 10pm to 6am.

I doubt any visitors would care to go this park anyway, but some of the comments on the county blog state that the druggies are now heading to Lydgate to do their thing, and that IS a visitor destination.

Kaua'i, HI
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Poipu, Lihue
Level Contributor
17,874 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hanama'ulu Beach Park.....closure from 10pm to 6am.

Aloha from Kaua'i!

I know sometimes visitors will ask about camping on Kaua'i here on the forum, and one of the places they read about is Hanama'ulu Beach Park. And to be fair, it is a beautiful place, my best friend "camped" there for a long, long while with her family after Hurricane Iniki wiped out their home. But that was then...and this is now.

Pretty much always someone will warn visitors that it isn't a suitable place to camp due to the issues they have had there.

Let's hope that the "issues" don't just migrate over to Lydgate....as "Jebett" says, that IS a place that visitors have a big presence.

Malama Pono,

Janet

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hanama'ulu Beach Park.....closure from 10pm to 6am.

I know Hanamaulu beach park does have issues, but it's not always bad. My wife and I were in that area last week and wanted a place to sit and relax with a beverage from 7-11 (I guess we did fit n), and we realized we never go there. So we drove down, just after sunset when it was mostly dark. We found a deserted picnic table between the road and the beach, and enjoyed our time there. I would be lying if I said I was totally relaxed, because I did keep an eye out for anything. But no one came and bothered us. Though I did see someone walking through the forest behind the park with a flashlight.

The sad thing that I've heard is that the whole bay (as in the sediment and the water) is polluted from agricultural runoff from the valley, either pesticides or pig manure. And the water is often murky. Which is not recommended for swimming. So that kinda ruins any appeal the place may have, if you can't even swim there. Such a shame because its the only little enclosed bay like that on the east side.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,668 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hanama'ulu Beach Park.....closure from 10pm to 6am.

Hanama‘ulu Bay will always have a special place in my heart. On our first trip to Kaua‘i, we drove directly from the airport to Ahukini Pier. Got out of the car and immediately in front of us, something was in the water just a few feet out from the rocks. A huge monk seal! A guy fishing told us he'd (seal) been around for quite a while. We also got some great fishing tips from him. Ahukini is usually the last place we go before turning in the rental car to come home. I love it.

So, when we did go over to the park, I was so disappointed. That end house had tents pitched all around it. A couple of people sitting out front were watching us. A guy working on his car in the parking lot gave us a look worse than stink-eye. And from what I could see of the park...quite a few tents/canopies, clothes hanging and trash blowing around.

California
Level Contributor
36,470 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hanama'ulu Beach Park.....closure from 10pm to 6am.

The issues come from drug activity late at night. I have family that live close by and they say its very bad. Good for the county to do something about it instead of letting worse things happen, but again my concern is this kind of activity moving to another area frequented even more by visitors. Unless you live close by or really know Kauai, this park isn't frequented by folks that read the forum. Kauaihiker lives on the island and therefore might visit the park. PZP frequently recommends to campers not to use this park. Now that its closed at night, that is even better.

7. Re: Hanama'ulu Beach Park.....closure from 10pm to 6am.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 06:18