We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

Level Contributor
90 posts
Save Topic
Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

Looking at Kauai condo's in these resorts, we are family of 4 looking for fun, relaxing pool and beach days. We have no problem driving to beaches for kids to play in waves, surf, etc

Have not been to Kauai since honeymoon 19 years ago.

Any input would be helpful to us??? We are looking at Summer 2014.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
978 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

Here's two reviews that might help you.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/kauai/ka…

Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort is on a very busy part of the island with heavy traffic, but is on a beach. Koala Landing doesn't have a beach, but is close to Poipu Beach Park which is one of the nicest beaches in the country. Poipu is more isolated and laid back than Kapaʻa, but still has plenty of shopping and dining. Poipu is also more likely to have sunny weather.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

Agree.....we would select poipu. Plus , you have a swimmable beach, and some protection due to the reef, and a short drive over to lawai beach, about 5 mintues for the best snorkeling on the island.

We would pass on the busy traffic, and Kapa'a area, and generally non swimmable beaches. But to each their own.

Poipu has a whole different auroa than Kapa'a, and we still drive over to poipu and enjoy the pleasantness and easy going island style. Actually, I guess we could say, it is more our style and what we enjoy.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

want to add.....Koloa landing has a nice pool area, but no beach. However , it is a very, very short distane to the beach at the sheraton, kiahuna, and poipu beach park. No big deal. Plus, you have, close by hiking along the coasline from the hyatt over to Maha'ulepu, horse back riding at CJM stables, spouting horn, I think on sunday the 2 hr sunset sail with Capt. Andy....

Very nice , sort of secluded shopping villages, Quaint Koloa Town, and neat places to eat.

California
Level Contributor
35,806 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

I would choose Koloa Landing too but be aware they are still in construction mode and some buildings might be impacted by the noise. Its Kauai's newest resort and the interiors are gorgeous. KL will be much more expensive that WBR (resort fees are $30-50 depending on how you rent). Out of all the places to stay in Kapaa, WBR is the nicest, but the area is crowded, not as pretty as Poipu and the ocean can be very rough and suggested not to go in. Both are nice accommodations but I would prefer to stay in Poipu over Kapaa. For summer you should also consider the North Shore. You could look at Westin Princeville (lovely newer resort with nice pool and grounds but not on a beach either), Hanalei Bay Resort (beach path is on the grounds and its a 5 min walk down or 1 min ride in a golf cart) or Puu Poa condos next to the pricey St Regis Hotel. The top beaches on the island are 5-20 minutes away.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,857 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

I would take Poipu over Waipouli, but I'd choose Poipu Kapili over Koloa Landing.

http://poipukapili.com/

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

Koloa Landing has matured unto a very beautiful property. The units are spacious and high end. If you want relaxing, this would be it.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

I agree Mezzsop. The palms and tropical shrubs have filled in nicely. The buildings closest to Poipu road no longer have barren look (which all new properties have initially).

To the OP, I'd also pick Koloa Landing. You'd be a much closer drive or even walk to a variety of good swimming beaches than you would be at Waipouli.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

Here's another option for Koloa Landing. Some of the owners are using different avenues for rental. I like this unit since it's on the end and in the front building (# 6).

www.parrishkauai.com/kauai-condos/k6303/

California
Level Contributor
35,806 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

If you rent a private rental the resort fee is $50. That is STEEP!!!! Even $30 is pricey. That's right up there with a major hotel.

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,388 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Outrigger Waipouli Beach Resort or Koala Landing Poipu Beach

<<If you rent a private rental the resort fee is $50.>>

Just confirmed, the daily resort fee on the condo through Parrish Collection is $25.00/day.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 22:19