We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Steak!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
48 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Steak!

Going to be in Kauai in September! Yay! Anyone know of a restaurant that has delicious filet mignon on the menu, along with simple sides like baked potatoes? We want a nice steak dinner, but my boyfriend is soooo picky with food.. some menus ive looked up look a bit too "exotic". Thanks in advance! :)

Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Steak!

Bullshed

They recently had update of interior and menu and also kept the customer favorites.

prnewswire.com/news-releases/bull-shed-resta…

Denny (kalapakidooley) recently mentioned Bullshed in a post:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k66897…

Checkout reviews on Tripadvisor or Yelp for comments, if any, after their June renovation

---------------------------------

Wranglers Steakhouse

tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g60627-d44…

California
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Steak!

Bullshed is the place for you. My family who live on the island LOVE it and I've heard since the remodel its nicer inside. Hukilau Lanai does a good steak but I don't think they have a baked potato to go with it but it sure is good. Maybe he'd like their meatloaf. Its different.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,569 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Steak!

Bullshed will give you the steakhouse fix...but hopefully he'll let you pick some restaurants too! We have this same issue with my brother-in-law and we cringe when trying to plan a meal with him because he is so darn picky and always ends up being the deciding factor in our restaurant choices. (I say he's in his 40s and it is time to grow up! Lol)

Anyway, all this to say, every nice restaurant there will have a good steak. Most will have some sort of potato as well, although perhaps not baked. so even on the more exotic looking menus I bet you can find something he likes! Also if you ask up front most chefs will be very accommodating.

California
Level Contributor
9,470 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Steak!

http://kalaheosteakandribs.com/ You might also try Kalaheo Steak and Ribs. We've yet to eat there, (next year for sure) but Denny gave it a great review several months ago.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Steak!

Oh yes, the Wally Steak at the Hukilau Lanai is excellent.

Also, the prime rib at the Kaleheo Steak House and their steaks are also excellent.

one place that most people do not list, and we feel is not only an excellent prime steak is the sunset special at Keiokies Paradsie in Poipu.

Now, we are not foodies, nor finicky, we just want good food, and fun service and pleasant suroundings,and not necessarily visitor style. So, we eat at most of the places on the island, from local to resort.

However , the three above menioned restauarants should appeal to most everyone.

Last night we were at the Hukilau Lanai in Kapa'a for date night, and as usual, our experience was

100% outstanding in all categories. Ambiance, bar tender and pre dinner drink, hostesses, freindly and fun server who was outstanding, as all of them are, bus people, and excellent meals.

Also, we just to along with what ever the establishment has on the menu, but it is pretty simple to look up the restaurants menu on their web site, which is what I like to do, and have some idea as to what to order, but we also listen to what the specials for the night are.

No matter where we eat, local bar, diner, quality restaurant, or resort, we just keep life easy and have a fun and rewarding experience.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Steak!

Last steak we had was Wranglers in Waimea. I thought it was very good and the staff was great. I hardly ever hear it recommended, not sure why?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
48 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Steak!

Thanks everyone! In my search, I bypassed Bull Shed and Wranglers...I'll check out their menus. My bf is used to Maui (it's going to be his first time to Kauai!) and he said the other day, "Lets go to Ruth Chris for a good steak while we're there..." and I thought, oh boy he has no idea how different Kauai is!

The first night we're there, my birthday, I made a reservation for Tidepools. Most reviews seem good, though expensive, but it is my bday afterall! I'm looking forward to trying their prime rib.

Definitely going to try Bull Shed.

Drums, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
788 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Steak!

My wife had excellent prime rib at CJ's in Princeville this past June.

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,853 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Steak!

I've had good steak at both Duke's (upstairs) and they have baked potato, as well as Kalaheo Steak and Ribs, haven't been to Bullshed in awhile, good to hear they have improved, hope they also improved their salad bar. Love Wrangler's when coming back from the Canyon, cannot remember ordering steak but we were always there for a late lunch.

Buford, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Steak!

I had a very good steak (not fillet mignon, I don't believe) at Wranglers many years ago. It's nothing like the wrangler steak house franchise around the mainland. We don't like to spend a ton on restaurants whlle we're there, so we haven't been back---it was about $40@ (a few years ago). Also had a great steak at Gaylord's (which I believe recently opened back up as something else). It, too, was expensive, but the outdoor patio setting at Gaylord's Plantation house was really neat. Anyone been there lately? I also like Bullshed and it was a lot more reasonably priced.

Edited: 11 August 2013, 19:14