We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hits and Misses

san diego
Level Contributor
369 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Hits and Misses

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information I received planning this Kauai visit. It had been a few years and the island is even more beautiful than I remembered. It will not be so long between visits in the future. Our trip was (supremely) lazy so instead of a TR thought I’d just hit the highlights, thanks again.

Hit: Beach House on Anini Beach. All the amenities you could ask for. Sunrises and Sunsets included.

Miss: Only one week

Hit: Renting paddle boards for three days from Hawaiian Surfing Adventures, Hanalei. Pick-up and delivery from Uncle Mitch made the whole experience unforgettable! Beautiful paddling morning and evening was enjoyed by all.

Miss: Renting snorkel mask from Pedal and Paddle. Employees surly and not at all helpful. They just didn’t seem to have a grip on how to handle the business end of things.

Hit: Fresh fish, sashimi and ahi rolls from Dolphin Hanalei. Each time the service and product were fabulous.

Miss: Having to do dishes for dinner all seven nights we were there (haha). Everything was so beautiful we just didn’t want to leave. Purchased groceries from Foodland and the Tuesday Market. As we all know the prices can be shocking but with five adults it was a deal and many hands made light work.

Hit: Calamari appetizer and view at The Tavern

Miss: The Tavern, kind of like a mausoleum. Big, cold, virtually empty at Happy Hour. Saved us from planning a dinner there though!

Hit: Wiapa Farmers Market. Great outing and the mangoes were the best I’ve ever had. Among other purchases were some turnips which the seller told us how to cook. They were delicious and something I have never cooked in Hawaii before!

Miss: The Prices (haha, knew this going in, they are also pretty outrageous here at San Diego’s markets. But I don’t mind when the produce is as promised.)

Hit: The fabulous little sugar pineapples!

Miss: Sores in my mouth from over-indulging…..worth it.

Hit: New rayon dresses for me and cotton shirts for him from Hula Girl in Kapa’a. Excellent store for men and women and the prices were really good for the product.

Miss: Can’t hit them once a month.

Hit: Lahaina Rums and Maui Rum enjoyed them all in a variety of drinks.

Miss: We never made it to the Rum Tasting Room, boo on us…….Will do it next visit for certain.

Hit: Non-stop from San Diego, first class on Alaska, yes!

Miss: Can’t always fly first class

Hit: The Aloha and kind words from those we encountered. We were made to feel welcome virtually everywhere. It makes it an easy decision that we need to make a quick return trip.

Mentioned in this post
Anini Beach
Anini Beach
678 Reviews
Kauai, HI
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Hanalei
Hanalei
Kauai, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai Adventure Fitness
Lessons & Workshops, Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Learn to Surf
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Poipu Beach Surf School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Nukumoi Surf Co.
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Venice, Florida
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hits and Misses

Sounds like my kind of trip. I'm curious, since we stay at Anini frequently, which house did you rent?

Mentioned in this post
Anini Beach
Anini Beach
678 Reviews
Kauai, HI
san diego
Level Contributor
369 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hits and Misses

Kai Hulali (VRBO 312663). Highly recommend it. One of the best beach homes we've ever had. Plenty of room, amenities and absolutely immaculate.

California
Level Contributor
39,594 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hits and Misses

Cute report. Aren't we lucky to have those non stops on Alaska?

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,212 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hits and Misses

Lovely house! Liked your concise but enjoyable report. Thanks.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,307 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hits and Misses

Thanks for the report. Just interested on why you didn't drink Koloa Rum since you were in the neighborhood? They have really good prices on these rums all over the island.

Mentioned in this post
Koloa
Koloa
Kauai, HI
san diego
Level Contributor
369 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hits and Misses

The guys were picking it all out. I probably should have

reminded them to look more closely.

Am sorry to have missed it. Being the family planner they probably tune me out after a while :)

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,079 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hits and Misses

Don't feel too bad about missing the Rum Tasting Room. It's entertaining, but it's also a pitch for their products. Don't try the rum cake, it's too good to resist buying it.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hits and Misses

Great report - enjoyable to read!

The house looks very nice. There was an absolutely terrific house we found on the BI - the only comment I had written the first night was "still haven't found the dish washer"! But, like you, if that's our only complaint, I guess we are happy!

Thanks for writing!

Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
20,400 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hits and Misses

I love how you organized your trip report, many thanks. Oddly, the only place I don't mind doing dishes is in a vacation rental!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,078 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hits and Misses

Great and inventive report! yes, a week is never long enough in Kauai . . .

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii