We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
618 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

Trip outline:

Day 1 - Priceline room at hbr

Day 2-4 - vrbo at hbr

Day 5 - 14- vrbo at waipoloui

Day 1 (Tuesday)

Activities

- Kauai airport - Only 10 minutes after getting off plane we were able to pick up luggage, rental car shuttle, and drive away with rental car (national). Wow.

- Off to the Hanalei bay resort. I was surprised with all of the construction going on. They had a nice pool and nice grounds, but it was a little hard to enjoy with a jackhammer in the background. See my review for the hbr.

- The room was old, outdated, and had old appliances. Then the roof started leaking. I guess this was one of their "Priceline" rooms. They then moved us to a drier room.

Food (only will include meals eaten away from our condo)

- Breakfast - brought food from home to eat at the Bellingham airport

- Lunch - Costco pizza and salad

Day 2 (Wednesday)

Activities

- Checked out of our "Priceline" room, swam at the pool all afternoon, and then got into our VRBO room. Great view of Hanalei bay.

Food

- Breakfast - ate in condo, but coffee from le petite bakery. Fairly good, and not too expensive. 3/5.

- Dinner - Lotus Garden (Thai/Chinese). Very good for the price - and the heat was hotter than most places in Washington. 4/5

Day 3 (Thursday)

Activities

- Spent all day at tunnels beach. Nice beach, but crummy snorkeling.

Food

- Lunch - picnic on the beach

- Dinner - Tahiti Nui. This was one of the lousiest pizzas I've ever had - hands down. The sauce tasted like it came from a chef boy r dee can. The pizza I can most compare this to is chuck e cheese. I really cannot express enough how bad it was. Plus, we ordered a side caesar salad (for $12). It was smothered in so much dressing. I couldn't finish it. Ugh. 1/5 (if it wasn't for the atmosphere, it would have been a 0/5).

Day 4 (Friday)

Activities

- Hiking the Kalalua trail. Very pretty, but the constant hum of helicopters tempered the atmosphere a bit.

- Ke'e beach - very nice. Better and more kid friendly than tunnels beach. Got there at 8:01 AM, and got the last parking spot.

- Checked out the beach in Hanalei and walked onto the pier.

Food:

- Dinner - picnic on the beach in front of the St Regis and watched the sunset.

Day 5 (Saturday)

Activities

- Check out - off to Kapaa (next trip report).

- Queens beach - nice little hike down to a pretty view.

- Hung out at Anini beach. Nice beach, lots of grass, parking, and elbow room.

- Kilauea lighthouse. Just ok.

Food

- Snack - Kilauea bakery. Ok, but nothing overly special. Seems a bit like a tourist trap. Nice atmosphere though. 3/5

Overall thoughts

We made a lot if our own meals, as I like to cook (at least breakfast). Coming from Washington state, we are used to green, and the northshore was very green. I liked how it felt more natural than Maui or Oahu. It felt a lot like Hana, but less isolated. I liked the location of the hanalei bay resort, but if we came back, we would probably rent a house near hanalei beach.

Best meal: Lotus Garden

Worst meal: Tahiti Nui (ugh!)

Best activity: Hiking the Kalalua trail

California
Level Contributor
9,581 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

"- Kilauea lighthouse. Just ok" What would have made it better than just ok? Not sure what you were expecting?

Thanks for sharing.

Princeville, Hawaii
Level Contributor
7,059 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

We like the Nui pizza but to each their own. Guess warnings about Priceline rooms were right. Will be interested in reading the rest of your report.

California
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

Yup! Those Priceline/Hotels.com/Expedia rooms are behind the restaurant construction and the last to be remodeled. Do you think they are going to put owners in them? I am glad you rented a nice condo (3105) for the remainder. Rebuilding a large restaurant is no small task!

I am not sure what was up with Nui's pizza, but I have never had a bad pizza there and find its one of the best on the island. Like the comment before...to each their own.

I found the funniest comment was about Kilauea Bakery. That is about one of the most non touristy places I've seen. What would make you think that? I am curious. Sure there are people having lunch and you can tell they are from the mainland and doing some shopping, but I would say 75% of the patrons are from the town. Are you talking about touristy prices? I would agree there, but that's Kauai for you. Where is Thai Lotus? Is that the little truck in Kilauea by the organic market? If so, yes that place is ok. It used to be in the Princeville Shopping Center.

Looking forward to your time in Kapaa.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,720 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

The truck by the organic market in Kilauea is Nam Jai Thai. Decent food. Not top-shelf Thai, but tasty.

I like the kalua pig/pineapple pizza at the Nui.

I like Kilauea Bakery but find it a tad expensive. Don't like their pizza particularly.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,268 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

I think Lotus Garden is still in the Princeville Shopping Center used to be Tamarind...

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

Thanks for reporting. It's always harder to understand feeling or tone through email, etc...not sure...are you enjoying the trip? What did you like better at Ke'e than Tunnels? You said kid friendly..was that it? It just surprised me because there is so much more to Tunnels than Ke'e. looking forward to the rest of your report.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

I enjoyed your trip report......our impressions would be different......especially concerning the Kilauea Bakery! I went there almost every day and loved it. It was pricey, but the product was worth the dollars spent. Felt like a mix of people there but we visited in January. I appreciated your honesty about your trip. We were most comfortable at Hanalei Bay Beach, but wish we had actually walked on the pier. Next time. Looking forward to your next report. Thanks. Deb

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
618 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

Hi everyone.

Thanks for reading. I apologize if I was a little too direct, but I tried to make my comments as succinct as possible (this was my first trip report), and didn't want to ramble - as I tend to do that. Please note that I really did enjoy the first part of my trip.

My feeling on the Kilauea bakery was that it could have been better for the price. I understand things are more expensive on kauai, but I wasn't overly impressed with their baked goods. Here's my take on bakeries and restaurants: can I personally do better (at least in my opinion)? If so, it's hard to rate them very high (like Tahiti Nui or the Kilauea bakery). That's where the "tourist trap" comment comes in. Maybe I could have been a little more clear.

Lotus Garden was a little place in the priceville market. I liked their food. Fairly cheap, and pretty spicy.

As for the lighthouse, it was ok. Nothing overly exciting. I didn't know much about the lighthouse, and felt the area around the lighthouse was more scenic than the lighthouse itself. Plus (and this is my fault) I thought you were able to go inside the lighthouse. That was a bit of a let down when we got there.

As for comparing tunnels to ke'e: I felt ke'e beach was more calm and had much better snorkeling. My guess is that this could be dependent on the day you go, and we might have just picked a good day for ke'e and a bad day for tunnels.

Again, I apologize if I confused anyone. :-)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,225 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

No problem! Thanks for explaining! I was just hoping you were enjoying it and couldn't tell! We appreciate reports and everyone has their own tastes and likes/dislikes.

California
Level Contributor
36,708 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bellinghamster's Kauai Trip Report - Northshore

Oh ok! Yes that Lotus place used to be in Hanalei. Yes its ok in a pinch.

I guess the bakery is what it is. If you don't like their stuff or prices I guess you can find another place. Did you like the bakery in Hanalei?