We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

One more quick question prior to departure tomorrow: We have a 7:30 check-in for a Na Pali cruise on Sunday. That means a very early start from Poipu. Are there any places to get a grab-n-go breakfast at that time on a Sunday anywhere from Poipu to Kilauea?

California
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

Java Kai in Kapa'a would be my choice. http://www.javakaihawaii.com/

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,014 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

Kauai Bakery at Kukui Grove Mall opens at 6am on Sunday. Burger King or McDonalds have breakfast. Safeway is 24 hours, Foodland opens at 6am...both stores have a bakery & deli. 7-11 will be open and I think Kilauea Bakery is open at 6am too, but I'm not positive.

3Chihuahuas

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

Thanks much. Those ideas will help. I should've mentioned that we'd prefer to avoid McD's and BK, places we can visit at home. Thanks again.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,014 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

McDonalds has "local style" menu for breakfast. Spam, Portuguese sausage, taro or coconut pies. Teriyaki rice bowls too if I remember correctly. Works in a pinch!

3Chihuahuas

Colorado
Level Contributor
360 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

Stop in Kilauea, about 1/2 a mile off the main road, at the Kilauea Bakery. It's one of the best places (if not THE best) on the island for breakfast. They should be open around 6:00.

If you're going all the way north to Hanalei (which I'm assuming you are, since most of the cruises leave from Hanalei Bay), go to Village Bakery in the small shopping center. They open at 6:30 and have some of the best malasadas you'll ever eat. You can't go wrong with either place.

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

If you stop in Kilauea I hope you don't have to go to the bathroom....There aren't any..... How do you say...boycott!!!

I would stop in Kapaa. There are many places like Java Kai, Buttery, Hemingways.

BTW Not all the boats leave out of Hanalei, One leaves out of Anini.

Colorado
Level Contributor
360 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

Boycott because of the bathroom situation? That's laughable.

California
Level Contributor
9,640 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

"Boycott because of the bathroom situation? That's laughable." It's not laughable when you really need a bathroom. This bakery is out of the way and about 20 min. from your destination. I'd find something before Kilauea

Lihue, Hawaii
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

From a foodie to you: McD & BK are absolute junk that will make you feel bloated and icky for the rest of the day, "local" themed menu or not. And their lines are 10 times as long as most good places, so you'll save time by eating better.

Eat some fresh locally made stuff that real people make from real food here - there's too much freshly made local awesomeness to settle for less. Java Kai, Passion Bakery Cafe and Art Cafe Hemingway in Kapaa are all good choices for early morning bites (and a good halfway point for a quick leg stretch).

For a list of other good quality local eats (if you're looking for more suggestions) check out asustainablekauai.wordpress.com/restaurants/

California
Level Contributor
37,031 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Quick breakfast northbound from Poipu?

Wow! There are alot of sustainable food trucks. My favorite.....