We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

Hey everyone!

My fiancé and I are planning our honeymoon for July 2014. We'll spend 5 nights on Oahu and then head over to Kauai for 3-4 nights, budget permitting.

We'll be staying at the Sheraton Kauai. What can you guys tell me about the general area? Is there a lot to do nearby? How far is it from the airport?

As for activities we're planning on renting a Jeep, zip lining, taking a catamaran along the Napali coast. Other activities we're considering are snorkeling, Kilauea Lighthouse, Queen's Bath, and Kipu Falls. Also, lots of beach time laying out and swimming!

Since we both have never been to Kauai, I would really appreciate any recommendations for what order to do things in, best companies to use for activities, and restaurants!

Thanks so much everyone!!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Catalina Island
Level Contributor
14,339 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

<<Queen's Bath, and Kipu Falls>>

Queen's Bath can be and has been very dangerous. Depending on ocean conditions, I would steer clear of this place.

Kipu Falls has been closed off permanently for quite sometime now. Also, a very dangerous place and many folks have died there. It was on private land and it's now fenced off (no way to access it).

We have done both the Napali Boat Tour and Ziplining, both great activities. You should probably pick up a recent edition of a good guide book (Kauai Underground or Kauai Revealed) to get the latest information on the island, activities, etc. The Sheraton in Poipu is centrally located to the north shore and Waimea Canyon. It also sits on a fabulous beach.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,953 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

Of course I am biased, but I would stay 3 nights on Oahu and 7 on Kauai - but that is my opinion. :) To me, Kauai is the most romantic and beautiful island and I would also choose to stay on the north shore during the summer time.

No need to rent a jeep - I would book what ever is cheapest that fits you & luggage.

This company is great to book with for your car rental: http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

You don't have it listed, but I wouldn't miss driving up to the Waimea canyon & Kokee state park.

Best snorkeling during the summer will be on the north shore - several good beaches up there, though Tunnels is probably the best for snorkeling.

I loved using Holoholo charters out of Hanalei for a Napali boat trip.

What type of food do you like? Lots of food threads here on the forum.

Good luck with the rest of your planning! :)

California
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

The Sheraton is in a great location! It's on a great beach and within walking distance to shopping and some of the best restaurants. It's about 30 min. from the airport.

I'd recommend getting up early one morning and taking a Na Pali boat tour with www.napalicatamaran.com out of Hanalei. When you get back from the tour around noon, check out Hanalei and Hanalei Bay, and Ke'e Beach. Heading home, you could stop by Queen's Bath and Kilauea Lighthouse. Kipu Falls is closed to the public.

Check out www.outfitterskauai.com for zipping. You might also like an ATV tour at www.kiputours.com

You can snorkel in front of the Sheraton as well as in front of the Waiohai and next to the Beach House at Lawa'i Beach.

Be sure to drive to Waimea Canyon.

Happy planning!

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,339 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

For Napali Boat Tours, I would check out Captain Andy's Southern Star which gets great reviews on the forum! I have taken Captain Andy's before they brought on the SS and it was fabulous. My understanding is that SS is a cut above the rest.

www.napali.com/tours/ss/na-pali-sunset-sail/

For Zipliing, I recommend Outfitter's Kauai in Poipu. We have taken their tour a few times and it's always been excellent! They have added more zips to make their tour extra special. The views on the Kipu Ranch (al private property) are amazing!

outfitterskauai.com/zipline-trek-nui-nui-loa…

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

Woohoo! You guys rock! I'll scratch Queens Bath and the falls off my list. Good to know!

And yes I meant to include Waimea Canyon, oops! We're definitely doing that.

For food, our main three favorite cuisines are Italian, Mexican, and Thai food. Not sure how much variety there will be, but we definitely want to keep mixing it up so we don't get tired of any particular cuisine.

Oh! Any good breakfast places? I'm thinking maybe something along the lines of The Gazebo on Maui? (Read: Banana Mac pancakes with coconut syrup, yum!)

Moorpark, California
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,339 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

Mexican = Tortilla Republic in Poipu. Very similar to Javier's in Irvine.

Italian = Cada di Amici in Poipu. Family run place, very good.

Thai - unfortunately the place we love closed (Toi's in Eleele)

Edited: 15 August 2013, 02:57
California
Level Contributor
35,587 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

Don't scratch QB off. In the summer its beautiful. Just be careful, watch the surf reports and if it happens to be a stormy day don't go down. Its a highlight of all my honeymoon guests.

The Gazebo is my FAVORITE breakfast place of anywhere and there is not anything like their pancakes but a few places come close like Ono Family Cafe. Isn't the fried rice at Gazebo to die for? I will be savoring both of those things in 3 months. Can't wait!

The Sheraton is nice, but I would have chosen to stay at The St Regis if coming during the summer. I bet you will be driving to the North Shore every day.

California
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

http://monicostaqueria.com/ Monico's Taqueria is the best Mexican restaurant on the island IMO and definitely has the best fish tacos.

Yes, QB can be dangerous depending on ocean conditions, but the same can be said about many beaches on Kauai. During the summer it's usually quite calm. We haven't been for over five years, but my grandkids have gone more times than I can count. Personally, I think it's less dangerous than a helicopter ride, but, like a helicopter tour, it's certainly not something that you have to do in order to enjoy the island.

Mission Viejo...
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

Okay, so QB is back on, we'll just be mindful of the weather and the tide. :) And definitely adding the ATV rental on to our trip - my fiance really wants to go off roading (hence why we were thinking about the Jeep), but after reading up on what a bad idea off roading in a Jeep on Kauai is, it sounds like the ATV rental is the way to go!

Thank you everyone SO much for the restaurant recommendations - I can't tell you how much I appreciate it! And my fiance and I love Javier's in Irvine, so we may be making several trips to Tortilla Republic... :)

Are there any super special romantic things I'm overlooking? So excited after hearing from all of you, Kauai is going to be incredible. <3

P.S. Gazebo fried rice = thebomb.com !

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,319 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3-4 Night Stay... First Timers!

Tropical pancakes (banana, mac nut & coconut) served with HOT maple or coconut syrup. BEST fried rice cause it has bacon in it...Ono Family Restaurant - Kapa‘a (no website)

Italian - Kaua‘i Pasta - Lihue location (haven't been to Kapa‘a location)

www.kauaipasta.com/Kauai_Pasta/Home.html

Mexican - we don't eat Mexican on Kaua‘i as NOTHING can compare to the hole-in-wall-joint near our house or what my DIL makes.....But, we're willing to try Monico's tacos in a couple of weeks...22kauai raves about it and she should know good Mexican food.....

Since you'll be in Po‘ipu, don't miss Happy Hour at Keoki's...good beer and food specials - if you like calamari, their's is to die for...thick, tender strips instead of rubbery rings.

http://www.keokisparadise.com/

3-4 nights on Kaua‘i is going to leave you begging for more time;-)

3Chihuahuas