We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We're here!

Saint Helens, Oregon
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
We're here!

Very long day of flights from Oregon... Arrived in Lihue 15 hours after we got up at home. Budget rental car was a dream... We got our minivan and were out of there in less than 10 minutes. Sad for all those that wanted a compact... They were out of them, and we saw 5 families waiting. Hit Costco, hubby ran to Kmart, not-so-little brother ate at the Costco food court while my mom and dd and I bought out half the store.

Then off to snorkel bobs for masks and fins (we have tubes)... And then north to our rental Hale Emmalani in Princeville. Arrived at 5 pm, after landing at 2 pm! We are here! Lihue has changed so much, and Kapaa is huge now.

Our house is beautiful. Brother is thrilled with his bachelor pad cabana. Mom and dd are in twins in the front bedroom that has Japanese screens for a door (not complete privacy I might add.) The master bathroom has a ridiculous 2 person jacuzzi--would take 3 water heaters to fill it. And the backyard has a beautiful private lap pool. The yard has all kinds of trees... Coconut, lychee and I think guava.

We dumped our gear, dd jumped in the pool, and mom and I headed for foodland 2 minutes away. Spent another small fortune (did get a makai card.). And then ordered burgers from Chevron. Dd had the huli chicken from foodland for dinner. Everyone raved, then mom and I told the boys it was Chevron burgers lol

Passed out by 8:30 pm, and are up with the sun. Going to eat and find a beach.

Everything is so beautiful, and hubby is laughing because at home I sleep in a cave... Here everything is open-windows and shades....

Have a beautiful day everyone!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,891 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We're here!

Oh, that sounds wonderful - have a fabulous day in paradise!!!

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We're here!

It is truly a spectacular day on the North Shore. Go enjoy. There are tons of beaches awaiting you. The water is flat as a pancake and snorkeling should be awesome.

FYI Besides the Le Petite Bakery in Princeville and a few spots in Hanalei for breakfast, The Westin Princeville has just started a breakfast service. I am on my way over to try their stuffed french toast. Friends went yesterday and said the Kalua Pork Eggs Benedict is to die for.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,601 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We're here!

Your vacation sounds just wonderful! So happy for you that it was finally your turn! It won't be difficult to find a beach......I would aim the car to Hanalei Bay Beach, but that was our favorite! The house seems perfect. Enjoy your day and thanks for the report. Deb

Saint Helens, Oregon
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We're here!

Day 1 is not quite over... But we took our time this morning, just amazed to be here. Discovered an avocado tree in the front yard with giant avocados! Picked a couple and put them in a paper bag to ripen them up, seriously huge, like haas avocados are.

We finally were ready to head out at 8, I warned everyone that the north shore beaches are much more crowded then they used to be, and that parking might be a bear... But we headed for ke'e anyway. Dh dropped us and the gear at the end of the road, and he went back to park... Past the big parking lot... Yikes. It was all okay though, we found a piece of beach, and broke dd back into snorkeling. Not-so-little brother copped out, and mom watched all the stuff and just enjoyed the beach.

Around 12:30 we were starving, so dh fetched the car, and then us, and we headed for the opakapaka food truck. Oh my yum! Sliders disappeared instantly in front of not-so, hubby had fish, and the rest of us did the skewers and garlic (spicy) green beans. So wonderful.

We then needed shave ice. Yes, needed. So we tried wishing well... It was really good, that wild haired lady mentioned in another review reminded us of the soup-nazi... Do not ask for another spoon after you already got 2. Wasn't me... But I learned from the other person's experience and kept it simple... 5 shave ice with Mac nut ice cream on the bottom, and we knew out flavors immediately when asked lol. Double yum!

We are now back home, swimming and relaxing in the sun... And I plan on putting together Teri-steak kabobs shortly.

Tomorrow, if we are up early enough, we may try tunnels... If not, probably will head for anini. My brother is so amazed by everything, and I wouldn't be surprised if he misses the flight home.

Saint Helens, Oregon
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We're here!

Jebett... I need to hear about the stuffed French toast... Please report back ;)

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We're here!

First of all...someone actually asked for 3rd spoon from the Wishing Well lady and lived to tell the tale? Wow good for them.

Second....The stuffed french toast were yummy. Ask for extra syrup and make sure they heat it.

The Westin has a really nice breakfast. You sit outside and though service was a bit slow at first, the waitress was very sweet and attentive after she realized she was supposed to wait on our table. They also have a daily buffet for $20. Includes coffee, juice etc. I would go back again, but nothing beats my Over The Falls French Toast at Wake Up Cafe....Oh and I haven't been to the shopping center is Kilauea as I am boycotting it. So no macnut rolls for this girl!

Middletown...
Level Contributor
858 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: We're here!

Is daily breakfast service at Nanea or another spot at the Westin? We have really enjoyed Sunday brunches at Nanea since they opened, it has now become somewhat of our Sunday ritual when we are at HBR.

California
Level Contributor
9,455 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We're here!

Opakapaka Food Truck--Yum!!! One of the best meals we had! Unfortunately, we didn't eat there until the end of our stay in Hanalei so only got to enjoy once.

Look forward to hearing more.

Saint Helens, Oregon
Level Contributor
214 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We're here!

Good evening everyone... We were up and ready by seven, with every intention of hitting Tunnels. However it was pouring rain and looked pretty darned iffy. So, we hopped in the car to go find the sun... Halfway to Lihue we decided to give the canyon a go...

Waimea canyon was gorgeous, and we were up there by 9. No hiking for us, with dm who is 67 and dd who is 9. Went all the way to the Kalalau lookout and enjoyed the misty view. I think in another 30 minutes it would have been clear. By 10:30 we were headed back down and were hungry already. The group decided not to wait to get to the bottom, so we hit Kokee lodge. Had some passable food... The kalua pig was suspect according to not-so. Hubby declared the loco moco good enough, I had the French toast and Portuguese sausage and it was pretty good, mom had crab dumplings and she enjoyed those, lastly dd had a hot dog... Can't screw that up :)

Then off we went again... There is a road that goes to the right with some sort of sign about hunting and it said dead end... We took it. For 7 or 8 miles... It ended at a military installation... The one you can see from Polihale with all the white domes. We turned around, and climbed to the top of a red dirt mound and the views were insane!

Next we headed for Polihale... Got there (left of the monkeypod tree) around noon... Played in the small area that has a protective reef for a couple hours and then suffered the hot sand all the way back to the car. We all love this beach, but the sand is brutal. Today is Statehood Day, so I think a lot of locals have the day off... Polihale was pretty much all local trucks and families.

Oh I forgot! The snack and fruit guy in the way up Waimea canyon was so good! We got a few to share, I think the favorite was the honey sweet potato chips.

Last stop before we headed for home was Jo Jo's anuenue... Oh my yum... We were all in heaven.

Now the grill is going... Teriyaki chicken, asparagus and sweet rolls for dinner. Then early to bed... Napali catamaran is tomorrow and check in is at 7 am :)

California
Level Contributor
36,044 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We're here!

It ended up being a nice day after that morning rain but glad you were flexible. Good for you.