We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalaheo to the North Shore

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Topic
Kalaheo to the North Shore

Aloha,

We are staying in Kalaheo and I read in some post that it is close to the North shore. Am I day dreaming or is that possible? Maybe back roads?

Looking at a map it looks like we would have to get on the main highway that goes by the airport and then continue on to the north. That would take a lot longer than 15 minutes.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alberta Travelbug

Cheryl

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalaheo to the North Shore

Kalaheo is not close to the North Shore and there are no backroads to get to the North. And from Kalaheo you wouldn't go by the airport either. Kaumuali‘i Hwy (50) - that's the main road into Lihue up to where it ends at Kuhio Hwy (56), head North.

3Chihuahuas

California
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalaheo to the North Shore

Time to wake up because its on the other side of the island. You do go close by the airport but you don't have to TO the airport. It is the main highway you get on (the same one that takes you to almost everything else on the island).

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
936 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalaheo to the North Shore

Thanks. I guess it is time to wake up. I wonder if the post I read was kiluaea which is something the same. Can you tell me how long it will take to get to Kapaa From Kalaheo?

Cheryl

California
Level Contributor
37,036 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalaheo to the North Shore

Yes Kilauea is near Princeville. About 15 minutes south.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalaheo to the North Shore

Kalaheo to Kapa'a - on a good day 35 minutes....but allow 50 to be sure. And that's baring a traffic accident....

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,904 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalaheo to the North Shore

Yes, you were mostly likely thinking of Kilauea. The Hawaiian vocabulary has a limited number of consonants and words have a high use of vowels. Consequently many names seem very similar to each other. It's worth it to take some time to study up on the place names of Kauai and other commonly used words.

7. Re: Kalaheo to the North Shore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 06:19