We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas and New Years on Kauai

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas and New Years on Kauai

Aloha!

I will be traveling with my family (my parents, adult brother + girlfriend) to Kauai for the 2013 holiday season.

We are looking for some suggestions for how to spend Christmas and New Years on Kauai.

I've looked at some general restaurant/luau recommendations but was wondering if anyone has come across something special for the holidays. Thanks for your suggestions!

California
Level Contributor
9,582 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas and New Years on Kauai

Where are you staying?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas and New Years on Kauai

HI! We are staying in Poipu but we'll have a car so we can get to anywhere on the island.

California
Level Contributor
9,582 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas and New Years on Kauai

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29218-i304-k55707…

Here's one of many threads on what to do on New Years. Type in New Years or Christmas in the Search function above and you'll find many more. If I were going to be there, I'd have Christmas dinner at Plantation Garden.

Lucky you!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas and New Years on Kauai

Thanks for the link!

Oceanside,Ca
Level Contributor
102 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas and New Years on Kauai

I spent a few Christmas Day's on Kauai and Hukilau Lanai in Kapaa has always been enjoyable:

http://www.hukilaukauai.com/

Larry

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
3,759 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas and New Years on Kauai

Imagine - Christmas isn't a whole lot different from every other day, unless you have a family gathering. Most local events take place much earlier in the month. That being said - the major resorts, etc do have fantastic spreads. The Hyatt is stellar!

If it was me, though, I would do Plantation Gardens or Hukilau Lanai. I think Gaylords would be a fabulous spot, but I have only heard one report and it was about lunch, so I don't know what they are like since re-opening. But talk about a perfect location for a special Christmas dinner!! An incredibly grand old plantation house...

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christmas and New Years on Kauai

christmas for us will be the Beach House or the Hukilau Lanai. We alternate them for Chirstmas and Thanksgiving.

New Years, we changed our normal plans to save some dinero, but our new years idea probably will not apply to the visitors.

We are fixing dinner at home. And wait until later to start our celebration. We walk over to Kalapaki Joes for one drink, and then across the road to Dukes, and then to Kukui's at the Lihue Marriot for drinks and dancing and bringing in the new year.

Last year they finally had a DJ that was in tune with most of the merry makers, and there were lots of visitors dancing and having a grand time. Our old bones were out there getting our groove on until mdnight, and then we walked home.

Many places on new years eve, on the island , close down about 9pm or 10 pm, so that is why we go in the order that we do.

Kalapaki Joess closes at 9pm, and I believe Dunkes downstairs at the Marriot closed at 10 pm. Perfect for a change of venue for us, and winding up dancing the rest of the night way at Kukui's.

As residents, we pretty much do not want to drive on New Year Years eve, and we can walk from our condo , and walk home. No problems.

Poipu area: New Years Eve: You mgiht check out Tortilla Republic for New Years, at the upstaiirs dining room. It is in poipu at the kukui'ula shopping village near the round about. Normally, on saturday nights they turn the upstairs into a DJ dance party.

Plus, any driving, if you are staying in poipu is a very , very short distance, and a 25 mph speed limit.

Be advised, like most places on the planet, there can be sobriety check points.

Welll, there are some ideas from a resident that likes to have fun, dance and sing along. As well as remaining safe and sound.

Edited: 20 August 2013, 06:30
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christmas and New Years on Kauai

1) Go to the beach.

2) Call friends back in Chicago and say, "We're getting sunburned at the beach. How's the weather there?"

9. Re: Christmas and New Years on Kauai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 07:20