We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in Kauai late September?

London, United...
13 posts
Save Topic
Where in Kauai late September?

Hello

Coming from the UK my wife and I are staying in Kauai for 5 nights in late September/early October.

We have nothing booked yet except flights, could you recommend the best part of the island to stay in at that time of year?

Also can you recommend a luxurious hotel there, budget is in the region of $1000-$1200.

This is the last leg of our trip so is very much a lazy beach stay but we will head out on a couple of days to see the amazing scenery. We will have a hire car.

Thanks in advance, struggling to make a choice but want it to be special. :)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where in Kauai late September?

Is that your budget per night or total for the 5 nights?

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where in Kauai late September?

Lol I wish - for the 5 nights

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where in Kauai late September?

Lol I wish - for the 5 nights. Could go to $1500 I guess, and realise I may not be able to go truly luxurious on that budget.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,972 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where in Kauai late September?

I would look into the Sheraton in Poipu and see if that is within your price range.

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Where in Kauai late September?

Many thanks for the suggestion, that's the kind of thing I'm after however, after doing a little more reading up I think I'm going to stay in the north. Any ideas on somewhere close to a great beach and the great scenery?

Thanks

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,930 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where in Kauai late September?

I would also recommend the north shore in September, but your budget doesn't quite get you the St. Regis . . how about a nice condo or cottage?

Here is one place frequently recommended:

www.halemakaicottages.com/HaleMakai.aspx

Do reserve your car soon - I use either of these companies:

http://www.aloharents.com/

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

California
Level Contributor
9,299 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where in Kauai late September?

Check out Hanalei Colony Resort. http://www.hcr.com/ It's on a beautiful beach, but not one good for swimming; however, it's very close to Ke'e and Tunnels, two of the best snorkeling beaches. HCR is the only resort that's on a beach, and it probably wouldn't be considered luxurious, but it's very nice and the views are amazing. The other resorts are all in Princeville on a bluff overlooking the ocean, the St. Regis being the most expensive.

California
Level Contributor
35,525 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where in Kauai late September?

There aren't a lot of hotels on the North Shore. There is The Westin (really a timeshare property but very nice), St Regis (you could stay 2 nights on your budget) Hanalei Colony Resort (not a real resort, but a lovely condo complex on the very far north side of the island/beachfront and a bit isolated), Hanalei Bay Resort in Princeville (again not a true resort as they don't have the restaurant up yet but beautiful views and a path to a beach below which is rare on the North Shore). Rent through a private owner only for the best condos at HBR. September is nice all over the island.

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where in Kauai late September?

Thanks all for the great advice. Much appreciated and we're very excited about kauai!

London, United...
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where in Kauai late September?

Ok so now thinking of east :) reason being it looks like an hour or so drive to places on the north side and also about the same to waimea canyon which I think I'd like to do.

Any ideas for the nicer spots on the east? Does my thinking make sense?, don't really want a 4 hour round trip driving to waimea canyon from the north. Is waimea a must do?

Thanks again