We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

31 days - Question about cliff divers, scenic highway

Center, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
31 days - Question about cliff divers, scenic highway

One month until we arrive in Paradise! I’ve been looking at posts on TA for months and have made so many notes I decided I’d better organize them a bit or they would be useless. I do have a few questions:

1. How can I access posts by the name of the person who wrote them? I had made notes from people who were planning their trip and promised to write trip reports but now I don’t know how to go back and access those.

2. Is there somewhere on the island where we can see “cliff divers”? I’m hoping there are performances or contests but I’m assuming that’s not the case. Years ago I saw cliff divers in Acapulco and was hoping there would be an area where that might be possible in Kauai.

3. Where is Holo Holo Koloa scenic highway? I’ve looked at a couple of different maps and can’t find it but I made note of a post mentioning the awesome scenery on that highway.

I’m still going through my notes so I will probably have more questions later. I cannot begin to tell you how helpful all of you have been. I’ve never been to Hawaii and am starting to count the days until we are there. September 21 is our arrival day so it’s finally getting closer. We are senior citizens who love to travel and will be celebrating our 45th wedding anniversary in Kauai!

California
Level Contributor
9,302 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 31 days - Question about cliff divers, scenic highway

hawaiiscenicbyways.org/index.php/byway/holo-…

Here's some info. about the Holo Holo Koloa scenic highway. I learned something new--never heard it called that before.

You can see some crazy people jumping off the cliffs at Shipwreck Beach by the Hyatt.

If you click on someone's avatar, you can see all the posts they've written. Or try typing in their name in the search feature.

Center, Texas
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 31 days - Question about cliff divers, scenic highway

Thanks for the quick response. Now I can do more reading and make more notes!!

California
Level Contributor
35,540 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 31 days - Question about cliff divers, scenic highway

No cliff diving contests. Just stupid people doing something really dangerous they aren't supposed to do.

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,506 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 31 days - Question about cliff divers, scenic highway

Yep, makawehi point clif near the hyatt in poipu, you may see some lubed up cliff jumpers, but trust me, no style points. Also , a few months back, I cannot remember if there was a drowning or a rescue there after several adult beverages were downed, and the visitor decided to go up leap off the cliff.

I too have never heard of that holo holo koloa scenic hwy over my 19 years. Holo holo means LET'S GO!

and there is the holo holo napali boat crusie company out of the west side. And Koloa Town is a quaint little small sugar plantation style shopping experience that is near poipu on the south shore.

However, just in your nomal travels you are going to see some great scenery, espeicially up on the north shore. MIles and miles and miles of amazing beauty.

Welcome to beautiful kauai. ( actually there is a very moving song Beautiful kauai, maybe if out and about and you run into a hawaiian music group , you can ask for Beautiful Kauai....will make your heart feel good).

Edited: 20 August 2013, 23:44
Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 31 days - Question about cliff divers, scenic highway

Near as I can tell, the Holo Holo Koloa ("Let's go/road to Koloa") Scenic Byway is a state-designated byway by the Hawaii Dept. of Transportation, following the model and probably funding of the National Scenic Byways Program. The national website also lists this byway: http://byways.org/explore/byways/81480

I'm not sure if it predates the Koloa Heritage trail (Ka ala hele waiwai ho'oilina o Koloa), but it is essentially the same thing: a self-guided itinerary on the major roads of Koloa that points out the historical and natural features. I don't know what the official sanctioning body of the heritage trail is, it seems to be created by the Poipu Beach Foundation, which looks like a local business association. Their website for the heritage trail seems to be this one: poipubeach.org/visitor_info/koloaheritagetra… (it has a link to a nice PDF with map and descriptions that can be printed.)

Of course, then there is the Hapa trail (Luahinealapiʻi) that is an actual trail/path that is somewhat included in both of these itineraries.

I'd heard of the heritage trail before, but never looked into it. The scenic byway seems to list more ancient Hawaiian sites, some that I didn't know about. However, the maps disagree about which site is which. The most accurate seems to be the national byways website: byways.org/explore/byways/81480/travel.html, in particular the location of Pa'u a Laka and Kihahouna Heiau. The south shore is seemingly full of Hawaiian history and archaeological sites that are somewhat hidden. I knew about the 2 heiau over by the Hyatt and its golf course, but I really want to go check out these 2 new (to me) ones.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 31 days - Question about cliff divers, scenic highway

OP-

1. Click the name of the poster on one of their posts, you should see their posts.

If you do not have a post to click at, click anyone's post

You will reach link

www.tripadvisor.com/members-forums/KauaiHiker

Change the last word in the link to the poster you are stalking. :-)

Edited: 21 August 2013, 23:23
7. Re: 31 days - Question about cliff divers, scenic highway

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 06:21