We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short hike on last day?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Short hike on last day?

First off, thanks to all the fine folks here who have helped us make our stay on Kauai a memorable one.

We're leaving on Thursday. We have a reservation with Birds of Paradise in Port Allen at 9 a.m. I figure we'll be back on the road by 11 at the latest. Our flight leaves at 5, so I figure we need to be turning in the rental car by 3:30 at the latest.

Given the time constraints, can anyone recommend a short, easy hike, maybe where a box lunch could be eaten, or some other outdoor activity to enjoy in the Lihue-Wailua-Kapa'a area?

We've done Maha'ulepa in Poipu, and been up to Kokee and Waimea Canyon already, and we don't want to range too far from the airport.

Any ideas would be greatly welcome.

Fairport, New York
Level Contributor
30 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short hike on last day?

I was going to recommend Maha'ulepa but you already did that. I will just throw out that we really liked a quick bike ride on the coast path in Kapaa. Did it two weeks ago. Rented bikes at kapaa beach shop for like $8 for two hours and cruised up and down the coast. Lots of fun and good scenery.

Also, good views from the Kuilau Trail -it's about a 20 min drive in from the east coast. Hike takes about 45 min up for good views. Was a wet (muddy) hike when we were there, though. Have fun!

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short hike on last day?

Yes to to the Kuilau Ridge trail - it's a beautiful drive up to Keahua Arboretum; there's a small picnic pavilion ~1 mile in. We did it in 2011 with 3 generations ranging from 2.5 - 68 years old (well, the 7 month old didn't hike it), so it's pretty mellow!

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
49 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short hike on last day?

Just checked my voicemail (at 9 p.m.). Birds of Paradise has moved us up to 7:30. The good part is that;s going to give s a couple of more hours; the bad part is that that means an earlier wake-up than we'd anticipated.

4. Re: Short hike on last day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2014, 06:20