We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

Salt Lake City
Level Contributor
37 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

My wife and I will be staying in Kauai in September and I have a lot of Marriott points to burn up. They question is, where to stay. I have narrowed it down to the Courtyard in Kapaa and the Marriott Resort in Lihue. Is anyone knowledgeable about both properties? The most important things to us:

-Nearby sports bars

-Nearby seafood restaurants

-Property directly on the beach

-Restaurant and bar on the property

Thanks in advance!

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

I have stayed at both and I would choose the Lihue location even though I enjoyed my stay at Courtyard. Lihue location is right on a bay (croweded though) while Courtyard is beachfront, you can't safely use the ocean there. Both have good restaurants close by (Dukes vs Hukilau Lanai), both have restaurant and bar on site (Lihue location's is better and nicer except the firepit at Courtyard is pretty neat) and as far as sports bars, you could watch tvs at Duke's Barefoot Bar I suppose. The Marriott is much more upscale. Courtyard did a nice job of refurbishing the rooms but the pool, bay location etc give the nod to Marriott, hands down.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,998 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

You want the Marriott Resort on Kalapaki Beach then.

It has everything you're looking for, hands down, over the Courtyard. Swimmable beach, lots of restaurants and bars in walking distance, seafood restaurants. All together, a fun place. If being on a good and swimmable beach is important to you there's no comparison. More money? Yes, but worth every penny.

California
Level Contributor
37,268 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

They are using points. I wonder if Lihue location is more points than a Courtyard. I would think so!

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
53,978 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

Lihue Marriott is the easy choice.

Southern California
Level Contributor
13,586 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

Marriott at Lihue is very nice, good restaurants and for a sports bar there is Kalapaki Joe's in the Harbor Mall right across the street.

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
619 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

I agree with the other posts - stay in lihue.

The Marriott near kapaa is a bad location. Plus, with all of the traffic, it can be a pain taking a left hand turn on the main highway.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,923 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

Definitely the Marriott Resort. It's a much nicer hotel on a swimmable beach. Kalapaki Joe's sports bar is right across the street along with a few other restaurants. Duke's, Kukui's and Portofino are on site.

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

Yes the one in Lihue is Great. We stayed at both, the Courtyard room is 1/2 the size. Everything you need is at the Lihue resort. We love to eat at Duke's up stairs for dinner and down stairs for both. Try the hula pie.

Riverside, CA
Level Contributor
679 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

I have stayed at the Kapaa courtyard and loved it, and have been to the Lihue/Kalapaki bay one too. I would go with the Kalapaki one though.

Relax you wont go wrong with either.

Kissimmee, Florida
Level Contributor
447 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marriott Courtyard vs Marriott Resort

The Lihue is 35,000 a night. yes I think it is more.