We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

England
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
385 reviews
Save Topic
Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

I just wanted to note down a couple (if there are any) of free wi-fi spots on the island, particularly near Kiahuna Plantation where we're staying - but anywhere's good as we'll be on the move.

We don't plan to pay the crazy charges for 3G roaming so would like to know where we can go to load photos from our iphone and keep in touch with everyone back home etc.

I think I read about Tortilla Republic having free wi-fi, which is good as we plan to go there for dinner one night anyway.

Thanks in advance!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

Any McDonalds, there are 3 I think in Lihue.

California
Level Contributor
9,314 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

We had free Wi-Fi at Kiahuna Plantation. They probably have it at Starbuck's across the street at the Poipu Shopping Village.

England
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

Some condos do have free wi-fi but ours doesn't. I'm sure it will be around, just thought I would note down a few spots to be sure. Does Hawaii have free wifi in all Starbucks & Mcdonalds? We don't have it in Mcdonalds in the UK, but do in Starbucks and most of their equivalents. I would usually go for the apple store but doubt I will come across one in Kauai!

Middletown...
Level Contributor
808 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

Lihue public library. I live by the JiWire wifi-finder app, probably the best world-wide directory of hotspots. The website version is good too, but seems to be broken when I just checked it: v4.jiwire.com/search-hotspot-locations.htm

England
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

Thanks for that link, i will bookmark it as i'm sure it'll come in useful - i never would have thought to search for something like that!

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

Just walk across the street to Poipu Shopping Village and the Starbuck's there.

California
Level Contributor
35,580 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

I think you have to buy a visitor pass ($10?) to access the library's wifi system. That would be fine if you didn't bring your electronics. Of course with the price of a latte at Starbucks, the library might be cheaper. LOL

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,445 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

Starbucks is directly across the street from KP and they don't really know/care if you've bought a drink or not.

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,346 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

That's right. I see people sitting outside the Starbuck's firing up their laptops a lot. If you still feel guilty buy one of their lemon poppyseed pound cakes or the blueberry streusel.

England
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
385 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Free wi-fi spots on Kauai - particularly Poipu area?

OK, starbucks it is - will probably end up getting a frappucino anyway :-)