We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I take a tent with me?

Pasadena, California
1 post
Save Topic
Should I take a tent with me?

This is our first time visiting Hawaii. I have a REI Half Dome tent. I'm wondering if it'll be a good idea to take it along for a sunny day on the beach or perhaps if we feel like spending a night on the beach. Any thoughts?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,083 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I take a tent with me?

You can't just camp on the beach. There are established campgrounds, but you need to get a permit.

I think I'd just spring for a beach umbrella when I arrived. Some of the beaches have shade.

Wailua
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
1,752 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I take a tent with me?

I second what pzp said.

It's fairly easy to get camping permits (except for summer holidays and weekends), but you have to visit the county parks & rec. offices during business hours. Most of the campgrounds are beachfront, but you don't actually camp on the sandy beach, just a bit inland on the grass or under trees.

Also, I highly recommend camping IF you already have experience camping on the mainland. But you need more than just the tent. Contrary to popular belief, you can't just sleep outside in Hawaii. You need to be insulated from the ground (sleeping pad or hammock), you need a rain fly for the likely nighttime shower, and you need a light cover against the cool air.

California
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I take a tent with me?

If you're someone who likes to spend most of your day on the beach, I think bringing a half dome tent is a great idea. I see many of them on Hanalei Bay and often wish we had one--good protection from sun or rain.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I take a tent with me?

Looks like OP just wants to spend the day on beach in tent.

There must be better options to get shade than being enclosed in tent.

California
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I take a tent with me?

Gee, I don't think the OP is saying he wants to spend the day enclosed in a tent, and even if it is why do you care?

Santa Rosa...
Level Contributor
16,188 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I take a tent with me?

Yes, you could bring it to get some shade while on the beach. I have one that I purchased this summer at the Lihue Costco. I forget the name of it but it's basically a small half-dome tent with mesh on the side of breezes to blow through. It's made for that purpose - on the beach. As other have said, you can't just decide to sleep on a beach when / where you want. So you don't want to take something that looks like a true tent.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,310 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I take a tent with me?

Do you really want to pay airline baggage fees for your tent? $$$

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,558 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I take a tent with me?

I have a small tent like that - weighs less than 2 pounds and could go in a carry on bag. :)

I prefer hanging out under the trees.

Edited: 23 August 2013, 18:08
California
Level Contributor
9,214 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should I take a tent with me?

Yes, Napaguy, a pop-up tent for the beach. That's what I want. I'm tired of dealing with umbrellas.

10. Re: Should I take a tent with me?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2014, 05:18