We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rental car

Clarkston
Level Contributor
78 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
rental car

We are going to Kauai in mid-March & have rented a mid-size car. We want to drive to Waimea Canyon and hike. Do we need a SUV or will the mid-size car do ok?.

California
Level Contributor
9,659 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rental car

Mid-size will be just fine.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,162 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rental car

I usually rent a compact or econo - you will be just fine. :)

California
Level Contributor
37,205 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rental car

If you rent an economy (which is usually the least expensive option and all you really need) the chances an economy isn't on the lot and you get upgraded to a larger vehicle is great. When they ask you if you want to upgrade for an additional charge, say no and see if they point you to that car they just said was another $12 a day for no additional fees. Happens to me EVERY TIME.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,895 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rental car

I'd go for an economy or compact car if your party and luggage will fit. The roads up Waimea Canyon really aren't bad, and a smaller car will save you gas, which is rather expensive here.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,392 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rental car

I usually just rent a compact, econo is fine too if you'll fit the people and luggage. SUV is only necessary if you need the space, like the one poster that had four sets of golf clubs to transport...

6. Re: rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2014, 05:18